Real one-of-a-kinds come along rarely in music. Here’s a chance to win one.
The Silver Lake Chorus, a 26-voice Los Angeles indie-choral group, recently released its debut self-titled album, produced by Australian singer-songwriter Ben Lee. Featuring arrangements of rare and new tracks written for the chorus by Sia, The Bird and The Bee, The New Pornographers, Tegan & Sarah, Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie), Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), The Flaming Lips, Aimee Mann, and more, The Silver Lake Chorus is now out on Six Degrees Records.
And we have a copy of the vinyl version to give away. See below to enter.
On first hearing the chorus’s arrangement of Beck’s “Lonesome Tears,” Lee was blown away by how the song had been “reinvented into this massive Russian Gregorian chant.” Inspired, he proposed an original indie rock approach to the ancient choral art, signed on to produce their debut album, and reached out to a bevy of top artists, who responded with new music for the chorus.
The group has been featured on Studio 360 and in the Wall Street Journal, and on Consequence of Sound, Stereogum and more. The Silver Lake Chorus is now available at iTunes and at Amazon (see link below).
Here’s the video for “Overboard,” a song by Ben Lee himself, which was recently featured as KCRW’s top tune.
And here, in a very different mood, is their a capella version of Bon Iver’s “From the Snow-Tipped Hills”:
Enter to win the new self-titled debut album from The Silver Lake Chorus one of two ways:
1) Easiest way: Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter and share this article (or write your own tweet) using the hashtag #silverlakebc
Not on Twitter? No problem:
2) Sign our mailing list.
Either way, see the following for details on how to enter.
CONTEST RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS
- You must be a U.S. resident to enter, and at least 18 years old.
- Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter (if you don’t already) and share this article on Twitter (or write your own tweet) using the hashtag #silverlakebc. AND/OR fill out our mailing list signup form with a valid email address AND the promo code SILVER.
- Entries must be received by midnight Eastern time on Friday September 4, 2015.
- Employees and freelancers at Blogcritics or Critical Lens Media are not eligible.
- Winner will be drawn on or after Saturday September 5, 2015.
- Winner will be notified by Twitter direct message or email.