If you live in the Twitter universe, you’ve no doubt seen the name Justin Bieber. I kept seeing the name in the trending topics and had no earthly idea who or what he was so I clicked on the trending topic and it was immediately clear this was the latest teen heartthrob type. He’s a 15-year old Canadian pop singer and his popularity is immense and growing. I’m afraid to ask my nieces about him. I like thinking they have no idea who he is and I don’t think I could handle knowledge to the contrary. Beiber’s collaboration with, yes, Ludacris, has him in the Top 10 on the singles chart.
Elsewhere in the singles chart, we have a new #1 this week, as Taylor Swift sweeps aside the bot that is Ke$ha. We’ve also got Bono and The Edge of U2’s collaboration with Jay-Z and Bono in the Top 10. This is the song the four recorded as a benefit for Haitian earthquake relief efforts and is part of a digital album of performances from the telethon held for the same cause.
That album, Hope For Haiti Now, is the #1 album on the chart, followed by Vampire Weekend’s Contra. We’ve also got what I believe is the chart debut of My Dinosaur Life, the latest from Motion City Soundtrack.
Lost in all the recent headlines of heartbreak, scandal and technology is the upcoming Grammy Awards. If, like me, you can’t name a single nominee, you can check out a sampling in the form of the 2010 Grammy compilation.
iTunes' top 10 selling singles of the week ending Jan. 25, 2010:
- "Today Was a Fairytale” – Taylor Swift
- "Tik Tok” – Ke$ha
- "Baby (feat. Ludacris), Justin Bieber
- "Hey, Soul Sister” – Train
- "BedRock” – Young Money, Lloyd
- "Bad Romance” – Lady GaGa
- "Imma Be” – Black Eyed Peas
- "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) – Version 1.0” – The Edge, Rihanna, Jay-Z, Bono
- "Carry Out (feat. Justin Timberlake), Timbaland
- "Blah Blah Blah (feat. 3OH!3)” – Ke$ha
iTunes' top 10 selling albums of the week ending Jan. 25, 2010:
- Hope for Haiti Now – Various Artists
- Contra – Vampire Weekend
- The Fame Monster (standard) – Lady GaGa
- Animal – Ke$ha
- Transference – Spoon
- My Dinosaur Life – Motion City Soundtrack
- 2010 Grammy Nominees – Various Artists
- The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies) – Black Eyed Peas
- Battle Studies – John Mayer
- Ocean Eyes – Owl City