Hunter S. Thompson got married:
- Surprise surprise, eh?
It was done with fine style and secrecy in order to avoid the craziness and drunken violence that local lawmen feared would inevitably have followed the ceremony. I know nothing about planning even the simplest wedding, nothing at all, and neither does sweet Anita, who is now my Wife. So we did it the Bhuddist way. We drove straight to the County Courthouse on a stormy Thursday morning and were happily married by noon. Sheriff Bob performed the ceremony, his wife took pictures, and a black priest from Sicily handled the video camera. It was fun.
Our honeymoon was even simpler. We drank heavily for a few hours with Chris Goldstein and accepted fine gifts from strangers, then we drove erratically back out to the Owl Farm and prepared for our own, very private celebration by building a huge fire, icing down a magnum of Crystal Champagne and turning on the Lakers-Timberwolves game until we passed out and crawled to the bedroom. Amor Vincit Omnia. [ESPN]
- ”He had a nice suit jacket and slacks on. He brought her flowers. That never happens here. We were all impressed with that,” Pitkin County Deputy Clerk Sherry McIntire said Friday.
Thompson, 66, married Anita Beymuk, 30, in a 20-minute ceremony in the clerk’s office April 24.
”He was looking pretty darn good. He was real happy,” said McIntire.
….Although he often portrays himself as hard-drinking and unpredictable, the Kentucky-born Thompson is gentlemanly in his home, guests have said. [Aspen Daily News]
And others have said he chased them around with heavy artillery, naked; but this is a happy event, and maybe at 66 he is a changed man.
- A longtime Thompson friend, Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, and his wife served as witnesses at the wedding. A dozen or more office staffers looked on.
Thompson, who narrowly lost an election for sheriff 33 years ago, is well-known in the area. He also has campaigned for and against local political causes.
McIntire said Thompson commented about ”marrying someone half his age. It was a hoot. The whole time he kept on going ‘Woo-hoo.’ That’s his little trademark noise.”
Actually, less than half his age. Maybe he will be happy and write something really good again after 30 years. I am also pleased he has finally admitted his claimed intoxicant consumption over the years has been, um, exaggerated. I wonder how many have suffered irreparable damage trying to keep up with his claims.
In more Thompson-related news, Relix magazine is having a drawing:
- “When your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas… with the music at top volume…”
-HUNTER S. THOMPSON,
“FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS”
Relix Las Vegas Flyaway
PRIZE PACAKAGE INCLUDES:
* Airfare for two to Las Vegas
* Two night hotel stay at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
* Two tickets to see WIDESPREAD PANIC!!!
* Widespread Panic shows: July 29 and July 30
* Winner will be selected on June 30
* Dinner for two
* Hunter S. Thompson’s classic
“Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”
* His new bestseller, “Kingdom of Fear”