Janiva Magness and Peter Karp & Sue Foley continue to stalk the #1 position at blues radio with Magness ending this week on top for the second time with Karp and Foley falling to second.
The big vault this week comes from Karen Lovely's Still The Rain, rising from the lower reaches of the chart all the way to #4. Lovely placed second at this year's International Blues Challenge and is looking to capitalize on that work and acclaim. I got a chance to see her do an impromptu set at Rum Boogie Cafe in Memphis and found her impressive. Note to self: pick up a copy of Still The Rain.
Another big player on this week's charts is Anders Osbourne, recently featured at NPR. He's actually been on the charts with his American Patchwork CD for a few weeks but he's moving upwards and as a result I picked up a copy when I was in Nashville at my favorite music store in the universe, Grimey's. I'll have more to report on Mr. Osbourne in coming weeks as I think he's going to be on these charts for some time.
The Billboard Blues chart isn't terribly interesting this week but there are a couple items worth reporting. For starters, all the touring and success at blues radio has led to sales at the cash register as Peter Karp & Sue Foley have reached #10. Magic Slim & The Teardrops' Raising The Bar debuts at #8.
Here is our BC Blues Power Rankings for the week:
- Janiva Magness – The Devil Is An Angel, Too
- Peter Karp / Sue Foley – He Said She Said
- Magic Slim & The Teardrops – Raising The Bar
- Karen Lovely – Still The Rain
- Otis Taylor – Clovis People, Vol. 3
- Anders Osborne – American Patchwork
- Moreland & Arbuckle – Flood
- Guitar Shorty – Bare Knuckle
- Shakura S'aida – Brown Sugar
- Rick Taylor – Lucky Room
- Mississippi Heat – Let's Live It Up
- Jimmy Reed – Very Best Of Jimmy Reed
- Dave Weld And The Imperial Flames – Burnin' Love
- The Kilborn Alley Blues Band – Better Off Now
- Jonny Lang – Live At The Ryman
- Nick Moss – Privileged
- Kirk Fletcher – My Turn
- Various Artist – Covering Clapton
- Jack De Keyzer – The Corktown Sessions
- The Holmes Brothers – Feed My Soul