It’s hard to believe it’s been 35 years since the release of Phil Collins’s debut solo album Face Value, with its monster hit “In the Air Tonight.” To celebrate the Genesis front man’s multiplatinum solo career, Collins himself is curating and compiling a new “Take A Look At Me Now” retrospective campaign, reissuing his eight albums in extended and remastered deluxe editions.
The first double release is a box set containing the remastered reissue of that groundbreaking 1981 Face Value album, along with 1993’s Both Sides which hit #1 on the UK charts. And we have a copy to give away. Read on.
Collins’s idea for “Take A Look At Me Now” was to examine how his songs have evolved over time. The additional content mostly focuses on live versions, offering a contrast between the original studio versions and later performances, to show how the songs take on a life of their own when freed from the confines of the studio. Carefully selected demos and b-sides are also included.
Says Collins, “I’ve always been quite proud of my demos and have often made them available as b-sides, but with a few exceptions, I have avoided including those on these collections. Instead, I’ve focused on how nicely the songs developed when played on stage, rather than showing how they originated.”
Nick Davis, a Grammy® nominee for his work on the Genesis 1970-1975 boxed set, is remastering all the albums in the series, which continues with Hello, I Must be Going and Dance Into the Light.
Enter in one of two ways to win a copy of the Take a Look at Me Now box set with Face Value and Both Sides:
1) Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter and share this article using the hashtag #philcollinsbc.
2) Sign our mailing list.
See the following for details on how to enter.
CONTEST RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS
- You must be a U.S. resident to enter, and at least 18 years old.
- Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter (if you don’t already) and share this article on Twitter adding the hashtag #philcollinsbc. Or fill out our mailing list signup form with a valid email address and the promo code PHIL.
- Entries must be received by midnight Eastern time on Sunday March 27, 2016.
- Employees and freelancers at Blogcritics or Critical Lens Media are not eligible.
- Winner will be drawn on or after Monday March 28, 2016.
- Winner will be notified by Twitter direct message or email.