New “dramality” show on UPN looking for next hip-hop star with Missy Elliott:
- We’re currently searching the U.S. for aspiring performers to go coast-to-coast with Grammy Award-winning artist Missy Elliott on one of her upcoming concert tours. A handful of selected men and women will travel, live together on the road and compete against each other for the opportunity to become the next big hip-hop superstar, in the new dramality series presently titled MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT.
Participants can spring from a variety of backgrounds, but what they will have in common is superstar talent, superstar style and superstar attitude. The selected group will be challenged in a variety of ways while on the road, and with Missy’s guidance, will be exposed to top music industry insiders, all under 24-hour-a-day surveillance of the MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT cameras.
Open casting sessions will begin Sunday, March 7 in Los Angeles. Casting sessions in Chicago (3/10), New York (3/12), Atlanta (3/15), Arlington, VA (3/17) and Dallas (3/19) will follow. Aspiring performers should have a three-minute routine prepared that showcases their talents as a singer, a rapper, a dancer and all-around entertainer.
More on Missy here:
- Missy Elliott is widely regarded as hip-hop’s premiere female artist. Her influence, combined with millions of CD sales, rivals any of her musical peers. As one of the few women who enjoys an equal amount of success as a prolific songwriter, producer and head of her own record label, Elliott initially scored hits for other artists before breaking into the Top 10 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart with 1997′s Supa Dupa Fly. In 2003, Elliott signed on as the National Spokesperson for “Break The Cycle,” an organization that speaks out against domestic violence. She was also recently named one of the spokespeople for the MAC Viva Glam V campaign to raise awareness for the MAC Aids Fund.
Elliott is the recipient of five Grammy Awards including Best Rap Solo Performance (2001), Best Female Rap Solo Performance (2002), and Best Female Rap Solo Performance (2004). In addition, she recently won her first American Music Award and took home Video of the Year, the biggest honor at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards. Missy will be touring in 2004 to support of her latest release, the critically acclaimed This Is Not A Test.
I reviewed Under Construction here.
Casting information here:
- CASTING CALL
LOS ANGELES OPEN CALL
Sunday, March 7th 2004
9:00AM – 6:00PM
Center Staging Musical Productions, Inc.
3407 Winona Ave
Burbank, CA 91504
Studio #1: Audition Room
Studio #2: Warm-up Room
*Center Staging is located off of Hollywood Way, across the street from the Burbank Airport. Park at your own expense.
THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT
1. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
2. Applicants need not be a member of any union such as AFTRA, SAG, Actors Equity, or AGMA. Members, as well as non-members, of such unions are welcome to apply.
3. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
4. Applicants should not be a party (either currently or within the last five (5) years) to a recording contract, either alone or as a member of a group.
5. Applicants should not be a party to a contract with any sort of producer, management group and/or agency. If Applicant is a party to such a contract, Applicant must be able to show written proof of legal termination of representation before Applicant can progress to the finals, tentatively scheduled for the last week of March, 2004, in Los Angeles, California.
6. The exact date and location of the finals may be changed at any time by Producers in their sole discretion. Economy travel (roundtrip to Los Angeles from a major airport nearest Applicant’s home in the United States) and hotel accommodations (room and tax only excluding all incidental or other charges) will be arranged and paid for by Nate & Lil Productions, Inc. (“Producers”). Your schedule while in Los Angeles will be entirely at Producer’s sole discretion.
7. Applicants may have appeared on television in amateur or semi-amateur showcases or talent discovery competitions (“Talent Programs”); however, Applicants should not have made any prior prime time national network television solo singing, rapping or dancing appearances of more than thirty (30) seconds in length on any programming other than Talent Programs.
8. Applicants must be available on a full-time, exclusive basis from the end of March 2004 through July 2004.
9. Applicants must not be candidates for public office at the time of application, and if an Applicant is selected as a Performer, that Applicant must agree not to become a candidate for public office until after the initial broadcast of all programs in which that Applicant may appear.
10. By applying to be on THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT, Applicants authorize the Producers to conduct investigations into the Applicant’s background, which may include review of civil and criminal records, financial, credit and employment history, and any other type of background checks (including medical and psychological testing) deemed necessary by the Producers.
11. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Viacom Inc., UPN, Nate & Lil Productions, Inc., Violator, Inc., Lion Share Productions, Gold Mind, Inc., Monami/Violator Productions and/or of any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and the immediate family (spouse or spousal equivalent, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or members of their same households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, directors and agents are not eligible to compete on THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT or participate in the application process.
12. The Producers reserve the right to change any of the eligibility requirements at any time. The Producers also reserve the right to not hold any interviews, or to modify the manner in which it conducts Applicant interviews, or to not produce the program on THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT at all.
1. Applicants must bring the completed PARTICIPANT APPLICATION along with a photocopy of Applicant’s driver’s license and social security card and at least 2 photographs (one must be a close-up of your face and the second must be a full-length photograph of your entire (clothed) body).
2. Applicants must come dressed and prepared to do a three (3) minute performance incorporating ALL of the “triple threat” elements: singing, dancing and rapping. BE CREATIVE!!!
3. Applicants must bring all music (cds and/or tapes) that will be used in Applicant’s audition. Music will not be provided.
4. OPTIONAL: Applicants may bring a VHS tape, DVD or mini DV of the Applicant(s) that demonstrates their personality and shows the Applicant performing a three (3) minute routine.
OPEN CALL AUDITIONS: Locations TBD, and subject to change at any time with or without notice by Producers:
Los Angeles – March 7th – Center Staging Musical Productions, Inc., 3407 Winona Avenue, Burbank, CA 91504 from 9am to 6pm
Chicago – March 10th – 9am to 8pm (location to be announced)
New York – March 12th – 9am to 8pm (location to be announced)
Atlanta, GA – March 15th – 9am to 8pm (location to be announced)
Arlington, VA – March 17th – 9am to 8pm (location to be announced)
Dallas, TX – March 19th – 9am to 8pm (location to be announced)
If an Applicant is unable to make one of the open call auditions, Applicants can still apply by sending a completed application packet to the following address:
THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT
c/o Nate & Lil Productions, Inc.
11271 Ventura Blvd.
P.O. Box 428
Studio City, CA 91604
Attention: Michelle Mock
Applications will be considered only if they are complete. Complete applications shall consist of the following:
Completed Participant Application (including a release and waiver signed by Applicant).
Three-minute videotape of the Applicant performing (VHS tape, DVD or mini DV), labeled clearly with the Applicant’s name.
Two photographs of the Applicant, each clearly labeled on the back with Applicant’s name (One must be a close-up of the your face, the third must be a full-length photograph of your entire (clothed) body).
Please note: unfortunately, Producers will be unable to return any Applicant application materials. All application materials will become the property of THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT and Nate & Lil Productions, Inc. and will not be returned. Applicants will be contacted only if THE MISSY ELLIOTT PROJECT is considering the Applicant as a potential Performer. Please do not call UPN and/ or Nate & Lil Productions, Inc. to check on an Applicant’s status. Any expenses that Applicant may incur during the application process are Applicant’s sole responsibility.