X-Rite has release three new color management solutions. i1Basic Pro 2, i1Photo Pro 2, and i1Publish Pro 2. They are spectrophotometer based units for high end profiling, quality verification, and spot color management. The unit I will be reviewing is the i1Photo Pro 2 which handles monitor, printer, camera, and projector profiling for the RGB world. The i1Publish Pro does all this but allows you to work with CMYK workspace as well.
The i1Basic Pro 2 provides for high-end monitor and projector profiling, monitor and RGB print verification, and spot color measurement. The i1Photo Pro 2 also adds in the ability to calibrate the camera to the monitor and the projector, along with the RGB printer. The i1Publish Pro 2 is the ultimate, fully-featured ICC profiling solution for those that need to color manage their cameras, displays, projectors, as well as their RGB/CMYK+ printers and presses with complete quality assurance validation and verification functions. In this first part I will look at the monitor and printer profiling.
The i1Photo Pro 2 comes with the i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer, i1Profiler profiling software, PANTONE color manager software, ColorChecker camera calibration software, ColorChecker Proof targets, and introductory ColorChecker Classic Target (mini). It also comes with the i1 Pro 2 Spectrophotometer, a calibration plate, USB Cable, monitor holder, positioning target, scanning ruler, the light measurement head, and a case to keep it all in. This gives you everything that you need to get started with full scale profiling.
The i1Photo Pro 2 is designed for photo professionals to manage their RGB workflow from camera to display and projector to print. i1Photo Pro 2 is designed to provide high quality color results that especially target highlight and shadow details and deliver greater color accuracy for more neutral grays and natural skin tones. With i1Photo Pro 2 you can
create custom profiles for cameras, monitors, digital projectors and RGB printers, ensuring color accuracy from capture to output.
What is new with the i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer?
• New illuminant design – allows for 3 standard measurement conditions (ISO 13655 M0: Tungsten; ISO 13655 M1: D50; ISO 13655 M2: UV Cut) plus Optical Brightener Compensation (OBC) without changing filters or needing a second instrument and ensures your investment well into the future.
• Positioning Detection Sensor – gives you a more robust scanning experience even on special substrates and low-resolution printers. It allows for the measurement of smaller patch sizes (as low as 7mm) in manual mode saving time and money on consumables and enabling dual measurement workflows for OBC, M1 and M2.
• New Status LED – will help guide you through the measurement process and give you feedback on device status, improving the user experience and saving time.
• Better design ergonomics – throughout allows for greater usability, flexibility, cleaning, protection, and storage of the precision i1Pro 2 device, assuring the highest level of reliability and productivity.
• Better temperature stability and higher brightness levels now help to improve emissive measurement which result in the best possible calibration and profiling of monitors and projectors
• All new diagnostics and self-correction features – give you built-in wavelength calibration technology allows for self-diagnosis of optical grating in relation to sensor during white calibration (with automatic correction and notifications) eliminating worry about your device’s measurement accuracy.
• Maintaining and protecting – the spectrophotometer as well as your investment is now easier than ever. There is a self-cleanable aperture protection glass and calibration white tile cover provides additional built-in protection from dust and dirt keeping your device working at top performance at all times.
• XRGA equipped – means that the i1Pro 2 is equipped with the X-Rite Graphic Arts Standard (XRGA) to make it quicker and easier for companies and professionals involved in digital production printing to adhere to ISO standards and have confidence that data sent or received from all links in the supply chain is reliable and repeatable.
How does the i1Photo Pro 2 work?
When working with the i1Profiler software you can profile CRTs, LCDs, and laptop displays. There are two modes available to you. The first is basic mode which will give you a quick accurate profile based on the defaults for your type of display. Advanced gives you much more control and will let you choose all your settings and really drill down for a much more accurate profile.