A legend in rock and roll history, Allen Klein (1931-2009) made his name in the music business managing Sam Cooke, later managing The Beatles and The Rolling Stones simultaneously. Known for mercilessness in business, he won unprecedented financial terms for many of his famous artist clients. Over his career these clients included The Animals, The Who’s Pete Townshend, The Dave Clark Five, The Kinks, Herman’s Hermits, Donovan, Lulu, and wall-of-sound producer Phil Spector.
In his new biography of Klein, written with (according to press notes) the aid of “unique, unprecedented access to Klein’s archives,” veteran music journalist Fred Goodman “tells the full story of how the Beatles broke up, how the Stones achieved the greatest commercial success in rock history, and how the music business became what it is today.”
Blogcritics has a signed copy of Allen Klein: The Man Who Bailed Out the Beatles, Made the Stones, and Transformed Rock & Roll (Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015) to give away. Read on for how to enter to win.
Following the death in 1967 of Beatles manager Brain Epstein, Klein pushed his way to a meeting with the band on the strength of the remarkable financial terms he had won for The Rolling Stones and other artists. The New York Daily News wrote that Goodman’s book “tells the amazing tale of how its subject managed to woo the top stars of the day, with a formula that enriched them while enriching himself far more.”
Kirkus Reviews called the book a “nuanced and multidimensional account,” adding, “Klein changed the way rock does business. In this balanced, fascinating, and well-written biography, Goodman gives him credit where it’s due.”
The book points to Klein’s deep understanding not only of the music business but of music itself as a key to his success. Klein was also a film producer – though his most successful movie proved to be the concert film The Concert for Bangladesh.
Enter to win a copy of Fred Goodman’s book Allen Klein: The Man Who Bailed Out the Beatles, Made the Stones, and Transformed Rock & Roll, signed by the author, one of two ways:
1) Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter and share this article using the hashtag #bcklein
2) Sign our mailing list.
See the following for details on how to enter.
CONTEST RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS
- You must be a U.S. resident to enter, and at least 18 years old.
- Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter (if you don’t already) and share this article on Twitter using the hashtag #bcklein. AND/OR fill out our mailing list signup form with a valid email address AND the promo code KLEIN.
- Entries must be received by midnight Eastern time on Wednesday July 15, 2015.
- Winner will be drawn on or after Thursday July 16, 2015.
- Winner will be notified by Twitter direct message or email.