Joni Mitchell is back with a four-disc boxed set. Love Has Many Faces is a collectors’ edition with 53 newly remastered songs about love and heartbreak from 40 years of recording. Together they make up a four-act “ballet” carefully curated by Mitchell herself.
“I am a painter who writes songs,” explains the singer-songwriter. “My songs are very visual. The words create scenes. What I have done here is to gather some of these scenes (like a documentary filmmaker) and by juxtaposition, edit them into a whole new work.”
Along with four CDs spanning four decades of music, the package, designed by Mitchell herself, includes six new paintings by Mitchell, and an autobiographical text illuminating her recording process.
The process of organizing the music into four thematic acts, she says, was a lot like making a film. “I had forty years of footage to review. Then, suddenly, scenes began to hook up. Then series began to form. Instead of it being an emotional roller coaster ride as it was before – crammed into one disc – themes began to develop. Moods sustained…When this long editorial process (two years) finally came to rest, I had four ballets or a four-act ballet – a quartet. I also had a box set.”
Enter to win a copy of Joni Mitchell’s Love Has Many Faces box set from Blogcritics.
To enter, just click here to sign our mailing list, and include the promo code “joni” in the form.
- You must be a U.S. resident to enter, and at least 18 years old.
- Fill out our mailing list signup form, and be sure to include a valid email address AND the promo code noted above.
- Entries must be received by midnight Eastern time on Wednesday December 10, 2014.
- Winner will be drawn on or after Thursday December 11, 2014.
- Winner will be notified by email.