Dee Dee Bridgewater, jazz chanteuse extraordinaire, pays tribute to the people and culture of New Orleans with a new album on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. A collaboration with Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra (NOJO), Dee Dee’s Feathers is a pulse-pounding celebration of the indomitable spirit of the city, with stellar guests including Dr. John and percussionist Bill Summers.
Read on, and see how to enter to win a copy of the new CD.
When Bridgewater, Mayfield and NOJO got together to record after a month of long-distance planning, says the singer, “I knew Irvin and his band mates had bathed me, immersed me, baptized me in the waters of the Mississippi, and exposed me to the roots of New Orleans. For me this album is a celebration of life itself.”
Adds Mayfield, “This album is a testament to the continued relevance of New Orleans not only as a thriving city but also as a muse for communicating truth, love and beauty. Dee Dee Bridgewater…proves through her art that New Orleans is not just a city but more importantly an idea that can make your heart and soul feel better.”
The album includes traditional songs (“Saint James Infirmary,” “What a Wonderful World,” “Big Chief” featuring Dr. John) and New Orleans-inspired numbers that sound like classics (“Congo Square,” “C’est Ici Que Je T’aime.”) It comes out August 7 on Sony Music Masterworks and is available at Amazon.com and iTunes.
Enter to win the new Dee Dee Bridgewater/Irvin Mayfield & NOJO album Dee Dee’s Feathers from Blogcritics one of two ways:
1) Easiest way: Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter and share this article using the hashtag #deedeebc
Not on Twitter? No problem:
2) Sign our mailing list.
See the following for details on how to enter.
CONTEST RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS
- You must be a U.S. resident to enter, and at least 18 years old.
- Follow @Blogcritics on Twitter (if you don’t already) and share this article on Twitter using the hashtag #deedeebc. AND/OR fill out our mailing list signup form with a valid email address AND the promo code DEEDEE.
- Entries must be received by midnight Eastern time on Friday August 14, 2015.
- Employees and freelancers at Blogcritics or Critical Lens Media are not eligible.
- Winner will be drawn on or after Saturday August 15, 2015.
- Winner will be notified by Twitter direct message or email.