It's a bad day for those of you who've dared to question my ability to read the tea leaves or to see the stitches on a fastball when it comes to the blues. I told you last week to expect a big jump for Janiva Magness' CD and I'll be damned if it didn't vault all the way to #2 on the Roots Music Report chart. The Holmes Brothers and Guitar Shorty continue to have a strong presence, making that three Alligator Records releases in the Top 3.
I also wrote about the disconnect between the number of copies of Joe Bonamassa's Black Rock being sold and it's relatively low position on the RMR chart. That changed this week, too, as JB shot up several slots from last week.
I'm really excited to see people still digging the Karp/Foley collaboration from Blind Pig and it's great to see Kilborn Alley's Better Off Now back in the Top 5. The RMR chart can be so stable and yet very volatile. I've seen KABB in the 40s and in the Top 5 from one week to the next. It's a great record, a very serious contender for my Album of The Year. Their growth is staggering and the best may be yet to come.
So let me be prognosticator one more time, making a bold and fearless prediction. We are less than a month out from the 31st Blues Music Awards. I don't have a real feel for whether or not one artist is going to emerge as the night's big winner, but I'd bet on one or two artists to get a bounce at radio coming out of that big night in Memphis.
- The Holmes Brothers – Feed My Soul
- Janiva Magness – The Devil Is An Angel, Too
- Guitar Shorty – Bare Knuckle
- Peter Karp / Sue Foley – He Said She Said
- The Kilborn Alley Blues Band – Better Off Now
- Moreland & Arbuckle – Flood
- Seasick Steve – Man From Another Time
- The Mannish Boys – Shake For Me
- Nick Moss – Privileged
- Joe Bonamassa – Black Rock
- Popa Chubby – The Fight Is On
- Super Chikan – Chikadelic
- Hill Country Revue – Make A Move
- Zora Young – The French Connection
- Little Joe Mclerran – Believe I'll Make A Change
- Eric Bibb – Booker's Guitar
- Arthur Adams – Stomp The Floor
- Tail Dragger – Live At Rooster's Lounge
- Cash Box Kings – I-94 Blues
- Ken Tucker – Juke Joint Serenade