Congratulations go out to Albert Castiglia this week for reaching #1 on the Blues Power Rankings. Keepin On is ferocious, aggressive blues record that climbed the blues radio charts for several weeks. It has been in the upper reaches of the chart for some time but hadn’t gathered enough steam to get to the top until this week.
The big debut in this week’s chart comes from one of the legends of blues harps, James Cotton. Cotton is indeed a giant in the blues story and Giant, his latest, debuts in the Top 10. The new disc just came out this week and I got to spend some time listening to it. It is near the top of my “to review” list and I hope to have something ready for us all to discuss really soon. One of the many things I love about the blues is the sense of history that comes with the music and fans’ willingness to embrace the continued work of giants and grizzled veterans who helped shape and define the music. “Superharp” still has something to offer and it’s great to have him still here with us, still playing, and fans lapping it up.
Another great harp stylist who hasn’t been at it quite as long as Cotton but is no rookie, Bob Corritore, has his Harmonica Blues making another nice surge this week. Other notable names in the Top 10 are Charlie Musselwhite, who is out touring in earnest to promote his The Well and Robin Rogers’ Back In The Fire.
Here is this week’s Blues Power Rankings, the hottest albums and artists at blues radio.
- Albert Castiglia – Keepin On
- Elvin Bishop – Red Dog Speaks
- Robin Rogers – Back In The Fire
- Charlie Musselwhite – The Well
- Kenny Neal – Hooked On Your Love
- Bob Corritore & Friends – Harmonica Blues
- James Cotton – Giant
- Jimmie Vaughan – Plays Blues, Ballads & Favorites
- The Robert Cray Band – Cookin’ In Mobile
- Dr. John And The Lower 911 – Tribal
- JJ Grey & Mofro – Georgia Warhorse
- Davis Coen – Jukebox Classic
- Mitch Kashmar & The Pontiax – 100 Miles To Go
- Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters – Spread The Love
- Duke Robillard – Passport To The Blues
- Gary U.S. Bonds – Let Them Talk
- The Derek Trucks Band – Roadsongs
- Eddie Turner – Miracles & Demons
- Karen Lovely – Still The Rain
- Walter Trout – Common Ground
- Smokin’ Joe Kubek & Bnois King – Have Blues, Will Travel
- Steve Miller Band – Bingo!
- The Blues Masters Featuring ‘Big Al’ Carson – 3 Phat Catz And 1 Skinny Dogg
- Dave Specter – Spectified
- Jay Gaunt – Harmonicopia