Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and most right wing Republicans continue to insist that the mainstream media is liberal. President Clinton may beg to differ, as every “liberal” network systematically allowed itself to be used as the right wing’s mouthpiece to pass blatantly false and/or misleading information. The fact is that the “liberal media” has allowed the right wing to castrate it. Had that not been the case, President Bush could never have been elected. Anyone listening to the President babbling next to foreign leaders, whether from the “third world” or other countries, must cringe in embarrassment that the United States, the sole standing superpower, is led with such ineptitude.
The genesis of this country’s malaise was the election of President George Bush. President Bush had been knowingly lying on most issues of consequence he campaigned on. The “liberal media” never took him to task in any substantial manner.
- Why did the “liberal media” not expose the president’s military record while he implied his prowess as a military supporter?
- Why did the “liberal media” not expose his dealings in the many failed companies in Texas that were simply fronts using his name for influence-peddling?
- Why did the “liberal media” not contrast his and his family’s “moral shortcomings” to his opponents’, given his moralizing on their values?
- Why did the “liberal media” not constantly report the irresponsibility of the large tax cuts while fighting a war?
- Why did the “liberal media” not hammer the administration on all the information available to discount the rationale for going to war?
- Why did the “liberal media” not explain to the public at large the fascist inklings of the Patriot Act?
- Why did the “liberal media” not expose the no-bid contracts going to the President’s and Vice-President’s cronies?
The fact is the mainstream media is not liberal at all. It has been made impotent by its corporate masters, who would rather not engage an administration that is willing to use a corrupt religious movement to intimidate them with unenforceable threats. A free media is imperative to prevent the government and/or the ruling party from exercising complete dominion over the population at large. It should be the free voice protecting the population against government propaganda that allows uninformed support for bad and corrupt policies.
Ultimately the media is very much responsible for our malaise, given its willful inaction. One can only hope that the teeth it has shown in the last few weeks will continue and grow to atone for the past five years.
Visit Political Truths, a place for views to move our country forward.