Starting out by saying, "High school is so not the best years of your lives" is so clichéd, but I'm going to do it anyway. My name is Maddy and I am a high school junior in Southern California. I hate it. I hate the fact that I actually know some seniors who get away from the dreaded place. I hate our walls, our floors, our books… but honestly, there are a few things that I'm sure I won't miss about high school:
1. The most obvious is grades. Getting into college is dependent on some stupid little number called the GPA. Your AP classes take every second of free time. There's always that one class that you don't get. This item is number one for most, but grades are of little annoyance to me these days. They aren't my favorite thing, but that isn't what's keeping me up late at night. No, I'll have no trouble getting into college.
2. That one friend whom you can't get rid of. I mean, honestly, she's everywhere. You cuss her out in the hallways, tell her you hate her, and she still is planning for you to attend college together and she flies three thousand miles to see your top school. You keep on pushing the clingy girl away, but she just keeps showing up. And if you say something to your friends about how you can't stand her, they look at you like you're nuts, and if you keep it up, they won't talk to you.
3. The overly hopeful best guy friend. The friend who's usually rock solid and you love to death (Not like that, of course), but thinks that the person he likes is in love with him when she told your other friend (the clingy one) she's not. And you can't say anything because then you look like a jealous girlfriend even though you don't like your friend like that. But, you know, when he figures it out, you have to fix everything.
4. Prom. Possibly the worst invention by man. The only thing you've heard about for the last couple of days is prom. The key is who's taking whom. You're actually helping other people pick out limos when you don't even plan to go. But no, you're the girl who probably will go just so your other friend (different from the above two) won't be a third wheel. It runs your life and that's scary.
5. Cliques. This one's obvious. Of course it's going to be on the list.
6. Stupid people. People who don't know what global warming is or that there's a war in Iraq (trust me, these people exist). People who ridicule other people for turning their work in early. People who pee on people's lockers, because it's "funny." Those people.
7. That one teacher. The teacher who tells you you shouldn't be in AP English because you're dyslexic even though you have an A in his class. The teacher who refuses to call you by your real name and instead calls you "Muddy" even though you tell him not to. Yeah, I'm subtle.
8. And on top of all that, all the members of the opposite sex at your school are jerks.
Now, picture yourself a couple of years later: everything's fine. You got into college; the clingy friend is missing; the overly hopeful friend is over the girl and happily married; prom is just a dark memory; cliques have been dismantled; stupid people are still stupid, but you don't have to deal with them; that teacher is retired and no longer haunting high school kids; the members of the opposite sex have matured.
You sure don't miss high school, right?
But for now, you're stuck. Your head is just spinning. Only 23 more days left in this school year, and you figure around 180 next year, so that's only 203 more school days until graduation. But, it's not like you're counting. Nope, you're not counting.Powered by Sidelines