This week American Idol will kick things up a notch by moving into the big phase of competition with only 12 finalists. I could rattle off a bunch of good, logical reasons why you all should tune in, but that might be a bit redundant. Instead, I'll give you the top 10 reasons that I'll be watching.
10. The Kevin Covais Adjective Roulette: Each week during his little fluff introduction piece the producers seem to enjoy attatching words to him that hardly fit. The kid is sweet, but in that nerdy-has-yet-to-hit-puberty kind of way. Hearing him refer to himself as a, "Gangsta" or "Sex symbol" is just plain funny.
9. Little Girls With Lots O' Soul: When I say little, I mean petite in stature. Lisa Tucker has already sung in The Lion King and seems to channel the likes of Jennifer Holiday while onstage. Paris Bennett hails from southern musical royalty and has a cool, raspy voice that reminds me of Gladys Knight. Both of these teens prove that power can come in all sizes.
8. Ace Young and His Sultry Gaze: Yes, he picks songs that suit his voice. Yes he seems like a nice guy. Yes, I too was stunned by his falsetto last week. But it's his intense, fixed eye contact that really makes me weak in the knees.
7. The Kellie Pickler Saga: Say it with me, because by now you know it as well as I do: "Her father is in jail and mom bailed out on her at a very young age...". Oh, how Fox has milked this story for all it's worth in Nielsen Ratings. I like her anyway. She seems very real and gracious in a country bumpkin kind of way.
6. "What Was Up With Paula Abdul Last Night?": That is probably the most-asked question every Wednesday morning, isn't it? In any given week, fans are trying to figure out if she was drunk, stoned, too sweet, or tone-deaf, and if none of those possibilities apply than you can bet she was a complete fashion victim. Something is always off with her.