This week leading into Thanksgiving has left me curiously underwhelmed. There are a number of titles that hold my interest, but none of them scream out as immediate must haves. I would have thought I would find titles that would jump out and say "Hey! Watch me! You have a long weekend!" Nope, didn't happen.
The one title that stepped to the front of the line is the latest season release from one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, Seinfeld: Season 7. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I watch the episodes, I still laugh. Every time. There are not many television shows that can cause the same reaction. I have sat there, watching with my family, almost reciting each line and laughing our heads off.
We are nearing the point where every season is on the store shelves, and there is nary a stinker in the bunch. Sure, there are episodes here and there that aren't quite as funny as the others, but this season features some of the classics. Season 7 includes 'The Soup Nazi," "The Rye," "The Maestro," "The Sponge," and "The Shower Head." I dare you to watch and not laugh. I am not sure that it is possible.
Also out this week:
- An Inconvenient Truth. This is interesting film, but I had a hard time stomaching Al Gore for 90 minutes. I am not disputing his information, but the guy bugs me. This would be a good rental, but I doubt it has much replay value.
- Ice Age: The Meldown. Not nearly as good as the first. It does offer up a little fun, in the form of Scrat and Sid, but otherwise, this is rather dull.
- Alias: The Complete Fifth Season. The final season of the spy series. I really liked this show, and I think that it was cut down to soon. It had a great mix of action, intrigue, humor, and romance. I miss it, fortunately there are the DVDs.
- Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. A newly remastered edition of the perennial classic animation. I seriously need to add this to the collection.
- Star Trek the Animated Series. I don't recall much about this series, but I like Trek, so it will have to be investigated.
- You, Me, and Dupree. Moderately amusing little comedy, it's just too bad that it wasn't quite sure who the story was about.
- Scoop. I missed the latest Woody feature in theaters, guess I will have to catch up. It's too bad that I have heard such mixed word regarding it, I really liked Match Point.
- Home Alone: Family Fun Edition. Here is a holiday film that everyone knows. I hesitate to call it a classic, but it is still pretty fun.
- The Punisher: Extended Cut. I hate to admit that I enjoyed the original cut. I am not saying it is a good movie, but it had certain amount of fun sewn in. I wonder what this new cut will offer.
- A Fish Called Wanda: Collector's Edition. Previously delayed, this edition is finally here. I haven't seen this movie in years.
- H6: Diary of a Serial Killer. Said to be Spain's answer to Saw, sounds good to me.
What are you getting this week?