This week features the release of 24: Season Four. This show has been at or near the top of my must see viewing list ever since it debuted in the Fall of 2001. Season one was great, giving us a new way of looking at the television action/drama. Season two stepped up the stakes taking the story global. Season three lost a bit of focus, it was still good but it did stumble. Season four bring s story focus back, and quite possibly became the best season of the show thus far.
Season four was explosive. It began with Jack's current boss, the Secretary of Defense, as the victim of a daring kidnap. Jack, of course, is on the case. He gets his job back, albeit temporarily at CTU. This season also features the return of Tony Almeida, possibly Jack's greatest ally, and a character that has had quite a ride since I suspected him of being a mole in season one.
Anyway, I don't want to get too deep into the happenings of this latest season, don't want to give anything away. Just let it be known that it is one of the best seasons of television in recent history. Kiefer Sutherland is absolutely electrifying as super agent Jack Bauer. He has been key in creating a character that is sure to be remembered.
Other releases for this week:
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Vol. 4. I haven't watched since the 2nd release, but whenever I see it I laugh, how can this be any different?
- Batman: The Animated Series Vol. 4. This set comprises the episodes that ran as part of the New Batman/Superman Adventures. I also believe that it completes this incarnation of the animated bat.
- Cinderella Man. Very good film that was not released at the ideal time of the year. It features very good acting amidst pedestrian directing.
- Dirty Love. I have not seen it and probably won't, but had to mention it. It is Jenny McCarthy's starring vehicle, and I have heard that it is absolutely horrible.
- The Dukes of Hazzard. Catch the southern troublemakers in one of two flavors, rated and unrated. I liked the movie, it was rather dumb, but still fun.
- Fantastic Four. Not a very good film, but not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. There is a two disk version coming in the near future, so you may want to hold off.
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Vol. 2. Even better than than the first set. This has longer episodes and leads directly into Episode III.
- Superman: The Animated Series Vol. 2. Took long enough for this to appear. Not quite as good Batman, but still top notch.
- Walt Disney Treasures: Celebrated Shorts, 1920s-1960s. Part of the wonderful series of Disney tins.
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald Vol. 2. Sequel to last year's tin release.
That is all until next week!