I usually just pick one title for this honor, but this week is not like other weeks. This week gets not one, not two, but three films. And to top it off, I haven't seen any of them! This week features the release of the second wave of Hayao Miyazaki films. If you have not heard of Miyazaki, you have now. He is a master of the animated film. His masterpiece Spirited Away, won the Best Animated Film Oscar a few years back, he is also behind such titles as Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, and Princess Mononoke.
Enough of those films, this week features the release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, and The Cat Returns. I haven't seen any of these films, and it really doesn't matter. I have not been disappointed by anything I have seen from him. Each film is magical in it's own way. Beautifully animated, voice acted, written, They are flat out great movies. So based on his past triumphs I will buy these without knowing anything about them, and I recommend that you do the same.
Other releases to look for:
- Get Shorty: Special Edition. Just in time for the release of its sequel, Be Cool, we get a new edition of this funny film about a loan shark who wants to get into the movie business.
- Heat: Special Edition. Michael Mann's crime thriller which brings Robert Deniro and Al Pacino together. Great film, overdue for a loaded version.
- I (heart) Huckabees. A film I cannot get fully behind, but I do like the absolute quirkiness of it. It is an exercise in style over substance as beneath the psychobabble, it is rather shallow, worth renting.
- South Park: Season 5. The fifth season of this outrageous animated series makes it's way to video.
- Cube Zero. I am very interested in checking this out. It is the third installment in an interesting low budget science fiction series. The first is an underrated gem, waiting to be discovered, the second was a bit lesser on the scale, but still good, hopefully this will continue the trend.
That's all for this week, rather light week. Until next time!
Visit me at Draven99's Musings.