The US Dietary Guidelines advise people to make at least half of their grain choices whole-grains. Never has this been easier with the availability of pre-cooked whole-grains. Gone are the days when nutrition was sacrificed for the convenience of microwaving refined white rice.
The problem with refined white rice is that the nutrient-rich bran and germ portions of the grain are removed during the milling process. The result is a polished grain stripped of several naturally occurring nutrients, such as B vitamins, iron, fiber, essential fatty acids and phytonutrients.
Nutrients lost during the refining process, such as fiber, contribute to a whole host of benefits in your body. A fiber-rich diet helps keep you regular, helps with weight loss, protects against heart disease, and protects against cancer. Fiber also slows digestion, adds to the feeling of fullness, and helps to keep blood sugar in balance.
You can find frozen pre-cooked organic brown rice at Trader Joe’s. Once you try this product you’ll never want to wait for brown rice to cook again. It’s convenient, healthy, organic, and has a great nutty flavor. Make sure to grab a couple of boxes during each trip to Trader Joe’s.
By keeping your freezer stocked with a few bags of frozen pre-cooked brown rice you will be able to throw healthy meals together in minutes.
Here are some creative ways to use the frozen pre-cooked brown rice:
- In the morning put the rice into a pan and heat it up with some vanilla almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, almonds, and honey.
- Bring the rice to work with you in a small container and add to salad or soup.
- Make a salad with brown rice, toasted almonds, dates, and feta cheese.
- Add to soups
- Add to burritos and tacos
- Top with stir-fried vegetables
- Mix with grilled vegetables and pine nuts
- Make a rice pilaf
- Heat with fresh spinach and parmesan cheese
- Use to make stuffed bell peppers
- Make a rice bowl and add corn, black beans and guacamole
For more healthy ideas on how to use brown rice visit the Healthful Sense Blog.Powered by Sidelines