One of the highlights of my trip to the Blues Music Awards in May was the performance by a group of fine blues musicians who created the BMA-nominated album Things About Comin’ My Way – A Tribute To The Music Of The Mississippi Sheiks. I’m still waiting for the Blues Foundation to release the inevitable DVD of the 31st BMAs but I won’t have to wait any longer to relive the spirit of that performance because the musicians behind that record filmed a show they did in Vancouver, BC and it will be released later this month on September 21.
The Mississippi Sheiks Tribute Concert – Live in Vancouver features 13 performances taken over two nights and features the house band that performed on the record led by several great performers – The Sojourners, Geoff Muldaur, Van Dyke Parks, John Hammond, Alvin Youngblood Hart — leading them through the music made by one of the great blues bands of the ’30s. That houseband featured guitarist Steve Dawson, drummer Matt Chamberlain, keyboardist Wayne Horvitz, bassist Keith Lowe, and multi-instrumentalist Daniel Lapp.
In addition to the performance, there are interviews with several of the artists involved as well as behind-the-scenes footage from backstage and show rehearsals.
Fans can also purchase MP3 of the performances from Amazon through their digital music store.
Here is the complete tracklisting for the DVD:
- Things About Comin’ My Way – Oh Susanna
- Sweet Maggie (The Sojourners)
- Poor Boy (Geoff Muldaur)
- Gulf Coast Bay (Steve Dawson)
- Keep On Tryin’ – Colin James
- Church Bell Blues – Bob Brozman
- I’m Backfirin’ Now – Van Dyke Parks
- I’ve Got Blood In My Eyes For You – Robin Holcomb
- Tell Me What The Cats Are Fighting About – Jim Byrnes
- Livin’ In A Strain – Alvin Youngblood Heart
- Kind Treatment – John Hammond
- Who’se Been Here – Dave Alvin and Christy McWilson
- Sittin’ On Top Of The World – Everyone