Home / The Legend of the Lipstick Killers

The Legend of the Lipstick Killers

Please Share...Print this pageTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Tumblr0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

I was a leading music industry promotion executive for Buddah Records in the late sixties and early seventies but then unexpectedly dropped out … burnt out and sick of the hype. It took a new band I discovered at the Mercer Arts Center in NY’s Greenwich Village to bring me back. I became their manager and made
rock ‘n’ roll history. The band was called the New York Dolls. This is their story …

It was the last concert the New York Dolls would ever play. Malcolm McLaren had put them in red patent leather outfits, hung a hammer and sickle flag behind them and sent them off to Florida for a 1975 “spring break” gig. It had been three years since the band formed and things had since turned sour. Johnny Thunders and Jerry Nolan had become druggies and Arthur Kane’s drinking was so bad he was often replaced on stage by Dolls roadie Peter Jordan. I had broken my ties with them and Malcolm, who would later go on to create the Sex Pistols, swooped in to get them in shape and resurrect their careers. Often referred to as David Johansen’s “haberdasher in London,” Malcolm would soon realize that the Dolls had become unmanageable.

When Thunders and Nolan couldn’t score dope in Florida and left for New York, it was the last straw and the end of the band. But what the Dolls ended that day was the beginning of everything that came after them in the music business. They were the first band to give a voice to the alienated kids of the seventies who were sick of listening to the “pap strains” of Loggins & Messina and Carly
Simon on the radio. The “no future” concept that spawned punk started with the Dolls. They paved the way and, in the process, made all the mistakes.

It goes something like this … the late Neil Bogart and I lived in the Top Ten at Buddah and were fresh faces in the business, young New York City record hustlers who promoted their way onto the worldwide record charts with hits like “Green Tambourine,” “Yummy, Yummy, Yummy,” “Simon Says,” “1-2-3 Redlight” and “The Worst That Could Happen.” Those records sold millions but the record industry hated them because they were teenybopper hits. We didn’t care because those teenybopper hits gave us houses, cars, bank accounts, and careers.

But, with the emergence of the counter culture and the Woodstock Nation, the record biz changed. The Vietnam War, protest marches on Washington, the partisan politics of Richard Nixon, women’s liberation, gay rights, racial strife and civil unrest were just some of the issues of the day. A cultural revolution was underway and rock ‘n’ roll was challenging the very essence of America’s beliefs and principles. Youth-in-dissent, to the lies and deceitful ways of government, was the prevailing mood. The birth of FM radio and anti-establishment “message music” was taking hold until Nixon diffused the revolution by threatening non-renewal of their licenses. The record industry capitulated and followed suit. By the early seventies all you heard were singer/songwriters and soft, unthreatening sounds.

The night my wife Betty and I decided to celebrate my newfound freedom was the night I happened upon a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It was a lovely spring evening in early ’72 and Betty and I went down to the Village, had dinner and afterwards were walking around when we came across the Mercer Arts Center, a complex of Off-Off Broadway theaters.

Mercer had 5 or 6 rooms of different sizes, floor to ceiling mirrors throughout and looked like the set of the movie Clockwork Orange. Business wasn’t that good and the owner, an air conditioning mogul with a love of the arts, had been forced to open the complex to rock bands on off nights. The marquee outside read “New York Dolls $3/2 shows.”

“Hmm,” I thought, “great name,” and remembered my friend Danny Goldberg had mentioned they were the best unsigned downtown band. We paid the six bucks, went in and sat by the stage in what was called the Oscar Wilde Room. Betty and I were ready for anything. The lights dimmed and the Dolls came out and tore into one of their anthems, “Personality Crisis.”

At first I couldn’t get past the sight of them. They were visually remarkable. While everybody in America were wearing army coats and earth shoes, here were these guys decked out in leather and leopard skin with bouffant hairdo’s, black nail polish, lipstick, six-inch platform boots, chopped jeans, feather boa’s, armbands and pantyhose. It was a style beyond femininity and thrown together in such a way as to appear natural. Then I zeroed in on their music … loud and hard ghetto music about girls, sex, drugs, loneliness, heartbreak and the rites of teenage romance. In other words … real rock ‘n’ roll.

I had never seen or heard anything like it and instantly knew they made everyone else look tired, which at that time meant David Bowie, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music. Betty and I looked at each other and smiled. One thought was spinning through my mind … “what would the world think of the Dolls indeterminable gender bending … is this too real?” I was gonna find out.

Two weeks later we met in the legendary back room of the Max’s Kansas City club to discuss careers – theirs and mine. David Johansen, a witty and articulate 19 year old with no fear, emerged as their spokesman … “we’re gonna conquer the world and we’re here for your sons and daughters.” He resembled a young Mick Jagger, something many rock writers made an issue but that’s where the comparison ended. The Dolls were on common ground with a developing new generation the kids of the seventies while the Stones were already in their thirties.

Johnny Genzale, a.k.a. Mr. Johnny Thunders, was an Italian street kid, a walking/talking rock encyclopedia who once tried out for the Philadelphia Phillies. Sylvain Sylvain had been born in Cairo and raised in NYC. He was very extroverted and looked like an impish Harpo Marx. Arthur Harold Kane, Jr., the bass player, had worked one legit job in his life for the telephone company but
was fired for ransacking pay phones on his repair route. The original Dolls’ drummer was Billy Murcia. He was from Bogota, Columbia and would die a few months later in a drug related accident in London that shouldn’t have happened. These were the raw Dolls hungry, inspired, loose and eager to turn it up beyond the red zone.

I signed on as the Dolls’ manager in June ’72 and brought in two former William Morris booking agents, Steve Leber and David Krebs, to co-manage the band. They would handle touring and I’d interpret the Dolls for fans and the record business. The team was set. We were ready to shape history and shake the rafters, too. Moms and Dads would hate this band. I loved it.

Meanwhile, the Dolls were selling out the Mercer Arts Center every Tuesday night and had moved to a larger theater within the Mercer complex. New York’s intelligentsia crowd heard this downtown buzz, too. Rock stars, writers, artists all showed up – Elton John, David Bowie, Andy Warhol, Peter Max, Fran Lebowitz – along with the seventies hard-core kids the Dolls spoke to and for. The Dolls, in the meantime, were moving further towards confronting the issues of the day – violence, abuse of women, the war, sexuality in all forms, answers and solutions for unconscious teens. Information and entertainment was what it was all about … and the bottom line was there were no limits to the Dolls intentions to disrupt the establishment.

Behind the scenes, Leber and I were discovering the price they were paying for it. The record business perceived the Dolls as too dangerous, too radical, too difficult to market, too frightening to even be in the same room with – too hard to sell. Every time Leber and I talked to record people we came across an invisible wall … “could they play as well as the Allman Brothers” … what is this gender bending thing” … “are they gay?” The homophobic record honchos didn’t understand and, as a result, superficially evaluated the Dolls. “Steer clear,” they whispered.

The Dolls, of course, did nothing to tone it down and believed if they were just themselves, eventually people would accept them. Leber and I knew it was going to be a drawn out uphill battle, and were forced to conclude that the U.S. record industry was too conservative and the band was too outrageous for kids outside of Manhattan. The rest of America would need to learn somehow that the Dolls were okay. We decided to take them to England, where it would be obvious the Dolls were the hottest unsigned band in the world. England’s sexually repressed society would freak out and love them. We flew to London in October 1972, but what should have been the beginning of the band’s success turned into a major tragedy.

They opened for Rod Stewart & the Faces at Wembley Auditorium in front of 13,000 people, never having played to more than 350 people anywhere. The reaction was mixed. One reviewer later wrote, “The future belongs to the New York Dolls. English glitter bands like Slade, the Sweet and T-Rex are soft by comparison.”

Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp, managers of the Who, were in the audience. In the Dolls they saw a reflection of the young Who and Stones, and wanted to sign them to the Who’s new Track label. Within 24 hours the offers came flying in from the other labels. Ahmet Ertegun, the president of Atlantic Records, sent a telegram from NY saying, “We’ll give you $50,000 to come with us.” Mick Jagger’s Rolling Stone Records wanted them too. There was no doubt about a deal anymore. It was just a matter of how much would be paid.

On the night I was hoping to make a deal and secure all of our futures, I received a phone call in my hotel room from Billy Murcia asking to borrow five pounds. He said he had been trying to call a friend, got a wrong number and ended up in a conversation with people he didn’t know, but who knew all about the Dolls.

They invited him to a party and he needed a little extra money. I told him to take the limo we had parked downstairs and to send it back to pick me up for my meeting later that evening with Lambert and Stamp to discuss the Track offer. Leber and I were asking for a ridiculous amount of money – something like 350,000 pounds, which was unheard of at that time. In the middle of the meeting I received a frantic phone call. The conversation lasted 15 seconds, “Marty, come quickly. Billy Murcia is dead.”

Stunned, I left the meeting without explanation. Five minutes later my cab pulled up to the tenement building where Billy had gone to party. I identified myself and was led into a bedroom where Billy was propped up against the bed on the floor. Nobody knew what had happened, or so they claimed. I learned later from the autopsy report that Billy had mixed Mandrakes (the British equivalent of Quaaludes) with alcohol and collapsed. Someone placed him in an ice-cold bath and poured coffee down his throat and he choked on his own regurgitation.

The other Dolls pulled up when I went downstairs. They were in shock and were crying. I identified Billy’s body for Scotland Yard and sent the Dolls back to NYC on the first plane out. I knew if I didn’t get them out of London immediately, it would hit the front pages of the trashy London tabloids. I wanted to spare the Murcia family and the Dolls any further anguish.

Oddly, Billy’s death caused greater interest in the band: it garnered them worldwide attention but also blew their big moment. Everything was put on hold. The record honchos weren’t about to invest in a band that might not even exist. About a month later the word came down from the band … “let’s find another drummer and do it for Billy.” Auditions were held and Jerry Nolan, an army brat and great musician, was chosen to be the fifth Doll.

On December 19, 1972, the Dolls played their first gig with Jerry at the Mercer Arts Center and were great. Four hundred and fifty people squeezed into Mercer’s largest theater to see if these were the same Dolls they had loved. The record honchos came, too, and still didn’t like what they witnessed but were now afraid to ignore the band. The Dolls were reborn. It was a triumphant return to New York City.

By springtime of ’73, everything was back on track. Leber and I continued to fuel the fire and to make it virtually impossible to ignore the Dolls. We booked them uptown, downtown and out into the ‘burbs on a non-stop schedule. Friends advised “don’t overexpose them” but no matter how many shows they played the crowds kept getting bigger. The Dolls were now hotter than ever. Everyone wanted a piece of them, to be seen with them, to sleep with them, to get high with them. Finally, we got a break. Mercury Records, thanks to the efforts of A&R man Paul Nelson, signed them. We didn’t get our asking price of $250,000, which they truly deserved, but did receive a substantial advance and serious commitment from a major record company.

Now the difficult part: the record they would make would have to embrace the mainstream without blowing off their hardcore following.

They recorded their first album in two weeks for $17,000 with Todd Rundgren producing. Although the production was adequate, his personal treatment of the band caused resentment and friction in the studio and most of the Dolls thought he hadn’t captured the true raw power of their sound. Nonetheless, the record is considered a rock classic. The debut album was released in July 1973.

The “transvestite” photo of the Dolls on the album’s front cover scared the hell out of people and seemed to confirm rumors they were gay. In reality, they were taking shots at the glitter scene and its one-dimensional fashion agenda. Their “camp” humor missed the mark but for those who understood, it was a typically on-target Dolls statement. The Dolls saw themselves as musicians, not just the latest trend, and while they were poking fun at glitter, the rest of the country saw them as queers and drug addicts, which, in the end, turned out to be partly true.

We booked a national tour. The night before it was to begin in Los Angeles, I received a call: Arthur’s girlfriend had tried to cut off his thumb with a kitchen knife. Connie later dated Dee Dee Ramone, and stabbed him too. Dolls roadie, Peter Jordan, filled in while Arthur healed. They were booked into L.A.’s Whiskey-A-Go-Go club for four nights, two shows a night, and sold it out in two hours. The word was out … the Dolls were coming to LA for the first time and it was a big event. They appeared on the nationally televised Midnight Hour TV show, giving America a first glimpse at what they’d been reading about for months.

In Memphis – in the heart of the Bible belt – the local papers ran articles warning mothers and fathers not to let their children attend the upcoming Dolls concert. These articles portrayed the band as obscene perverts and New York degenerates. Almost three thousand fans turned out to see the Dolls but the show was halted after a few songs and David was arrested for obscenity after an excited fan broke through the police lines in front of the stage and kissed him on the cheek. Three months later they were voted “Best New Group of the Year” and “Worst New Group of the Year” in the 1973 Creem year-end reader’s poll. “Hmm, promising,” I thought, and took out full page ads in Billboard which said, “The Dolls … the band they love to hate.”

The most memorable Dolls show took place at NYC’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in October 1973. The hotel believed it was booking a debutante ball, but when 6,000 crazed and costumed fans showed up for a Dolls Halloween bash, there was hell to pay. One-half of the crowd had to be turned away for lack of space in the main ballroom, and the hotel lobby was left in shambles. This amused downtown rockers, but seemed to confirm that the Dolls and their crowd spelled trouble.

Similar incidents plagued their second tour of Europe. A major riot occurred at the Bataclan Ballroom outside of Paris when 4,500 enthusiastic fans were turned away for lack of space and were dispersed by police with clubs. During the show, Johnny Thunders smashed his guitar over the head of a fan who kept grabbing his leg. This, of course, overshadowed the police brutality in the media reports of the event.

The controversy seemed endless. For all their success with interviews (David could control interviews and deflect the most pointed questions with hip humor and finesse), incidents continued to hurt their reputation. There was the time 300 journalists from all over Europe assembled in the lobby of the Ambassador Hotel in Paris for a 12 Noon press conference, but the Dolls were not to be found. I opened the bar and ran up an $8,000 bar tab until the Dolls finally appeared around 4 PM. Mercury/Europe went berserk. (Actually I thought it was an excellent public relations investment and that the best press conferences are fueled by drink. The resultant rave publicity couldn’t have been purchased for 10 times the amount spent on booze). “This happened to Elvis and the Stones,” I reassured Leber, who by now was convinced I was an absolute lunatic. These events signaled the beginning of my differences with him.

We were in the second year in the life of the band and Mercury wanted a second album. George “Shadow” Morton was chosen to produce. The critics jumped all over it with a vengeance and pronounced it “too commercial.” It was obvious to me that we’d have to suffer through a “critic’s backlash.” They build you up and then rip you down. By the summer of ’74 the band still wasn’t turning a profit. We weren’t losing money and each Doll was receiving a $200 weekly paycheck, but we were barely staying afloat. What pained us most was that we were still unable to get across what was so real about the Dolls – they were simply a great rock ‘n’ roll band. The invisible walls were taking their toll.

First Johnny, then Jerry started shooting heroin; I noticed changes in their appearance and behavior. Arthur’s alcohol intake escalated and he had to be constantly watched. David and Syl were aware of what was going on and became increasingly displeased. Mercury told me the second album’s sales should have been better. I asked them how many new groups on your roster have sold as well and received as much press all over the world? I never did get an answer. By this time I was fighting with my partner, my record company, and my marriage was falling apart.

Once again we hit the road. A tour featuring the Dolls, Aerosmith, and Kiss – with the Dolls headlining – played the Midwest to crowds of 5,000 one night, 200 the next. It was totally unpredictable. Leber blamed me for Johnny and Jerry’s substance abuse, as if I could control it. Dolls sycophants were whispering “get new managers, go to another label.” I decided that in order to keep the ship afloat I’d take a back seat and watch Leber steer the helm. But I knew it was too late.

The Dolls were forced back to the club circuit: a step down and a tough pill to swallow. The press backlash, personal excesses, management differences, coupled with two years in the “eye of the rock hurricane” had taken its toll. Contrary to popular belief Mercury wanted another album, but only if the Dolls would clean up, write new material and understand this was not just a rock ‘n’ roll party. It was business.

Enter Malcolm McLaren. He convinced what was left of the Dolls that he could resurrect them … and almost did. The new Dolls were unveiled to rave reviews and looked again like they might happen as so many of us had believed they would. I was rooting for them as a believer, and because they were still under contract to me.

Then came the Florida incident (Johnny and Jerry couldn’t score drugs in Florida and returned to NYC). Malcolm was forced to conclude, as I had before him, that the Dolls were unmanageable. The Dolls didn’t survive but Malcom did, returning to London loaded with valuable information and insights to create the Sex Pistols: Dolls attitude, Ramones riff, Richard Hell’s look. As it turned out, the world wasn’t ready for the Sex Pistols either.

I broke up with my wife. David did a few solo albums, created alter ego Buster Poindexter, had a big hit with “Hot, Hot, Hot,” married noted photographer Kate Simon, and acted in some major movies. These days, from what I hear, he spends much of his time painting in watercolor. He recently released a new solo album that has been well received. Sylvain lives with his teenage son live in Atlanta, where he produces new artists and records with his band. Arthur inherited family money, moved to California and no longer drinks. Johnny and Jerry formed the Heartbreakers and toured the world … but continued drugging until it killed both of them within months of each other. Leber made millions with Aerosmith. I started Red Star Records and produced Suicide, the Fleshtones, Real Kids, and worked with Blondie and the Ramones. I’m still here.

I remember meeting Johnny in London years after the Dolls broke up. We talked into the wee hours of the morning about our unique adventure. He was a tremendously likable person, which comes as a surprise to people who couldn’t see past his outrageous exterior. He was a real musician at heart in the end. Everyone blamed everyone else for the Dolls’ demise. The New York Times wrote a touching obituary. Leber and I attacked each other for years and finally buried the hatchet. The general consensus was they were ahead of their time: too much, too soon.

I see it like this: the Dolls reflected their generation’s frustrations and were a source of information and inspiration for many kids who were marginalized by society and felt locked out. Despite scornful criticism the Dolls still managed to laugh at themselves. In their wake came the Ramones, Blondie, Sex Pistols, the Clash, Motley Crue, Guns ‘n’ Roses and scores of others who were amused, informed and inspired by the Lipstick Killers, despite or because of their human frailties.

Powered by

About Marty Thau

  • san

    The New York Dolls were truly seminal. This an important collection, and, on Marty Thau’s part, an important recollection.

  • Great first hand account. I’m a little bit peeved that this Millenial bargain disc has been released when we haven’t gotten bells-and-whistles reissues of the two studio discs, but any Dolls is better than no Dolls. . .

    David Jo has released two post-Buster discs of blues songs with The Harry Smiths. Both releases are worth checking out, though they’re not all that easy to find.

    I remember seeing Johnny Thunders in one of his last tours at a club in Chicago: the guy looked like a wreck, but, damn, he still could play . . .

  • Marty Thau

    You hit it squarely on the head when you questioned why this mid-priced Dolls CD has been released instead of an all-out ‘bells ‘n whistles’ reissue of the two studio discs, so I’ll let you in on a little secret … it’s because Universal
    Records (the new owners of the Dolls catalog) do not know enough about the band yet to go that far. Hopefully this Millenial disc will open their eyes and get them excited. Anyone who appreciates good rock ‘n roll should know that the Dolls music will appeal to new generations for years to come. What can I say — some things take a little longer than others. Be patient — something blowing in the wind.

  • The new Millennium collection is fairly insipid, given the existence of the “Rock and Roll” single-CD compilation of both studio albums (minus “Pills” and “Showdown”) plus bonus tracks that you can often find in cut-out bins for $5 or less.

    And Amazon has both of Johansen’s albums with the Harry Smiths…a remarkable new direction that conclusively demonstrates why the Dolls were the greatest white-blues band America ever produced, not to mention punk, glam and hairspray (would 80s metal have existed without them?).


    Also, don’t miss “From Paris with L-U-V,” a bootleg-quality live document from 1974, and the “Hard Day’s Night” collection of 1973 demos that showcases the Dolls without the wolf-whistle production frippery of Shadow Morton or Todd Rundgren’s “get the glitter out of your asses and play!” malevolence.

    Thanks for sharing, Marty. When can we expect the movie?

  • Rock ‘n’ Roll is a decent collection. But both studio albums are so set in my mind that the re-sequencing is distancing (as are the shifts in production sound). Plus I really miss the remake of Archie Bell’s “Showdown.” Still, the extra cuts (“Courageous Cat Theme,” “Don’t Mess With Cupid,” “Lone Star Queen”) guarantees that it’ll stay in my collection.

    In general, I’ve found these Millennium discs to be weak tea for fans: a good way for newcomers to test drive an unfamiliar group, though.

  • Marty Thau

    A&R guys should not be older than 17. I like your website.

  • We have just opened the Official New York Dolls site at:


    We hope that you will check it out and leave us your feedback.

  • I would be interested in getting in touch with Marty Thau. If anyone on this blogboard has an email address I would appreciate it if you could inform him of our official Dolls site


    Or ask him to email me at:


    Kind Regards,

  • MARTY THAU, you rock! What a great article — sorry I only just got around to reading it two years after you wrote it.

    I bought the first Dolls disc this weekend, saw your name on the credits, remembered you from this site, searched your past articles and came up with this thoroughly complete first hand account. Thanks so much for writing it. It’s a valuable piece of rock history, and I can only hope you’ve got a book in the works.

  • Wow – that’s a phenomenal article, must now sample the Dolls – legit – just for you:)

    A book would be a great idea

  • Eric Olsen

    thanks for checking it out Aaman – Marty rules!

  • Walter Five

    Great Article!!!

    Can you please confirm or deny Blackie Lawless’ claim that he was once a member of the Dolls?

  • Eric Olsen

    maybe the time is right for a book, Marty

  • Back in 1978 when puck was hitting Toronto there were whispers about these guys from New York. The Dolls, and Johnny Thunders were all they could talk about.

    It was a wild ride back then, music felt alive for the first time in years. Like all those things it got co-opted fast, by 1983 it was new wave, and then it was just the same old crap.
    Old joke ” what’s the difference between a punk and a new waver. A new waver wears a pin of their favourite band on their jacket. A Punk wears a pin through her cheek.

    Oi, Oi, Oi!!!!


  • Kathy

    Marty, just came across your blog. Way back when I was part of the gang of teenagers who used to hand out all the fliers for the Dolls’ gigs in exchange for getting on the guest list. Also tried to start the Dolls fan club without Mercury support, and was sitting in Leber Krebs office when Laura Kaufman told us the Dolls had broken up. I wound up adopting Johnny’s two Labrador Retrievers prior to their first US tour. Spent many a night at the clubs watching the Dolls. Remember you well, standing in the back of the club, with your leather jacket. Looking like the Hall Monitor with a gang of juvenile delinquents. The best collection you put out, the one that really represented the Dolls’ music, is “Hard Night’s Day.” Only sorry that “Endless Party” wasn’t included on it. It was always my favorite tune. Would love to hear a digitally remastered & reproduced Dolls catalog of both studio albums. Anyway, you did a great job with the Dolls. You made Rock & Roll History! Thanks for the great times, Kathy