The producers of Show Me the Curry show us how to make Indian-Chinese hot and sour soup. This flavorful and hearty recipe is completely vegetarian and can be made vegan, also.
South Asian Cuisine, just like the country and culture, is very old. There are a thousand ways to make a simple Mung Daal. Show Me the Curry‘s goal is to provide you with a well tried, tested, and liked version of different recipes. Never be scared to experiment and create your own version of anything you read here. Remember, the key ingredient to any kind of cooking is to have fun.
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Garlic – 1 tsp, minced
Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
Frozen Peas & Carrots – 1/2 cup
Frozen Corn – 1/4 cup
Green Beans – 1/4 cup, cut at an angle
Celery – 1/4 cup, thinly sliced
Cauliflower – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Cabbage – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
Mushroom – 1 large, thinly sliced
Vegetable Broth/Stock – 4 cups
Egg Noodles – 1 cup
Soy Sauce – to taste
Red Chili Sauce – to taste
Black Pepper – to taste
Vinegar – 1 Tbsp, or to taste
Corn Starch – 1 Tbsp, mixed with a little cold water
Egg – 1, well beaten (optional)
Spring/Green Onions – 2, chopped at an angle
1. Heat Oil in a medium sized pot.
2. Add Ginger and Garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or so.
3. Add Corn, Green Beans, Peas & Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery and Cabbage – sauté for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add Vegetable Broth, Salt, Black Pepper and Egg Noodles.
5. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer until Egg Noodles are tender but not overcooked.
6. Add Mushrooms, 1/2 of the green onions, Chili Sauce, Soy Sauce and Vinegar – bring to a boil.
7. Mix 2-3 Tbsp water with the Corn Starch and add it to the soup – bring to a boil.
8. Slowly add in beaten Egg and keep stirring to form strands – cook for 1-2 minutes.
9. Garnish with Spring Onions and serve hot!
10. Serves 4.
1. For Vegans, use wheat based noodles instead of egg noodles and omit the egg.
2. The same soup can be made into a non-vegetarian version. Use Chicken Broth and add cooked, shredded chicken with the mushrooms.
3. Corn Starch is a thickener. Use more or less depending on the consistency you prefer.