1. Red lentils or toor dhal, 1 cup.
2. Tomato, medium size, 1.
3. Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon.
4. Mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon.
5. Cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon.
6. Broken red chilies, 2.
7. Asafetida ¼ teaspoon.
8. Curry leaves, 5-6.
9. Salt as per taste.
1. Dice the tomatoes and keep aside.
2. . Wash the lentils once or twice until the washed water runs clear. Add the lentils to a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water and the turmeric powder. Cook for 15 minutes or for 3-4 whistles until the lentils are cooked. The cooking time varies depending upon the pressure cooker. Once the pressure is released mash up the lentils using the back of a ladle or a masher.
3. Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the cumin seeds, asafetida, and broken red chilies and fry for 2-3 seconds.
4. Reduce the flame and add the diced tomatoes and curry leaves. Sauté for a few minutes until the tomatoes are cooked.
5. Add the mashed lentils along with salt, mix everything well, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve as an accompaniment for rice and chapathis.
Variations: Sometimes the tomatoes are cooked along with the lentils and the seasonnings are poured over the mashed lentil mixture. In this preparation, the tomatoes will be completely mashed up along with the lentils.