Prior to using from the freezer place in refrigerator to defrost.
1/3 recipe puff pastry,defrosted in the refrigerator
50 grams/ 1/4-cups sugar
flour for dusting
- Prepare your mise en place. Preheat oven to 180 degreesC/350degreesF.
- Line a baking sheet will a silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Lightly flour your working surface and turn dough as you roll out the dough, DO NOT ALLOW THE DOUGH TO STICK. Roll the dough to 3-6 mm/ 1/8-1/4 inch thicknesses.
- Using a round 4cm/1-inch cutter cut out circles, us a smaller cutter inside the circles for the 12 rings with a 6mm/ 1/4-inc boarder. For larger sized vols-au-vent, fit for a main course or dessert, use a 10cm/ 4-inch cutter to cut out about 4 circles, again use a smaller circle cutter for the rings. You can use a metal ring or cookie cutter cut 16 to 20 disks.cut . Brush the top rings lightly with egg wash, trying not to drip any down the sides (which may inhibit rise). If you are using the little “caps,” dock and egg wash them as well.
- Using a smaller round cutter cut ½ of disks centers out, and save.
- Create an egg wash and set aside.
- Dock the disks; with a pastry brush lightly coat each disk with the egg wash. Place disk on prepared baking sheet and layer pastry rings on top of each disk. Using a pastry brush lightly and gently coat with egg wash. Add just enough egg wash to slightly wet the surface without dripping down the sides.
- Use the small disk for the top: Chapeaux Petite brush with egg wash, add to the oven about 10 minutes after you added the Vols-au-Vent. Keep disk centers in the refrigerator.
- Place completed Vols-au-Vant (and the smaller disks, if using) on the prepared baking sheet; place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the Vols-au-Vant. This should ensure even rising, and to also prevent the pastry ring from distorting or tumbled during baking. Place the baking sheet with the Vols-au-Vent in the refrigerator while the oven heats to temperature.
- Bake until golden brown and inside is completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven and place on cooling rack till cooked. The Vols-au-Vent can be used for sweet or savory dishes.
Crème Whipped Topping:
165 grams Crème Frâiche
29 grams/ 1/8-cup mascarpone cheese
145 grams/ 2/3-cup cream
15 grams / 2-Tablespoons icing or confectioner's sugar
- Using a cold bowl from your standing mixer with whisk attachment add the crème frâiche, mascarpone, cream and whisk till a line begins to show in the crème, slowly add icing sugar and whisk on medium speed till soft light peaks form.
- Place the whipped crème in a pastry bag with a a large star piping tip and pipe into Vols-au-Vent. Use the Chapeaux Petite (small caps) to lay on the top side.
A Savory Dish: Smoked Salmon Mousse