Looking for an impressive breakfast treat for the weekend? Look no more. Chocolate Covered Cherry Muffins are the quick and easy answer! Rich and delicious and deceptively simple, you'll be the star of the kitchen when you pull these chocolaty morsels out of the oven, and it will be love at first bite when the sweetened cream cheese gushes from within!
Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Muffins
(an original Doughmesstic recipe of www.doughmesstic.com)
For the Muffins:
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 4 ounces chopped Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Chocolate Powder
- 1/2 cup Sweet Cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Cherry Preserves
For the Filling
- 4 ounces softened Cream Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 and arrange a rack in the center.
- Combine Cream Cheese and 3 T. sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine butter and chopped chocolate in Microwaveable bowl and melt until combined and creamy. (Approximately 30 seconds in the Microwave will do it.) Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl. In separate bowl, whisk egg with vanilla and milk. When well combined, add to dry ingredients, along with melted chocolate and chopped cherries. Mix only until just combined. Stir in preserves.
- Grease or line muffin pan placed on top of a baking sheet. Divide approximately 3/4ths of batter (it is quite thick) into equal portions and fill tins. (6 Texas Sized or 12 Regular Size) Then dollop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin, followed by the remaining batter. Sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional) and bake until toothpick comes out clean. (roughly 27 minutes for Texas Sized, 21 minutes for regular muffins.) Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then serve warm or at room temperature (if you can wait that long!) Enjoy!