Do you want to meet new people at college? Do you want to try something new? Then Ultimate Frisbee is for you. It is a good way to meet new people, especially if you’re an incoming freshman. The sport is also a great way to get in shape while still having fun.
I had never heard of Ultimate Frisbee until I discovered that my college had a league. I wanted to meet new people and try something different. I quickly discovered that Ultimate Frisbee was a good way to do so. When I went out to practice, I wasn’t the only person new to the sport. Ultimate Frisbee is a continuous learning process, but here are some things you’ll need to know.
1) The rules of Ultimate Frisbee are similar to basketball and football. There is an end zone like football. Once you stop running you can only move one foot or you will be called for traveling as in basketball.
2) Typically the game is played with seven people. Three are called handlers. They are usually more skilled at catching and throwing. The other four are called cutters. They move back and forth vertically between the end zone and the handlers. Their job is to get open for the handlers and to pass the disc onto other players up the field.
3) In Ultimate Frisbee cleats are a must have. Soccer or softball ones work. Running back and forth with tennis shoes can only lead to embarrassing yourself as you land in front of a cute guy (or girl). Tennis shoes don’t have enough traction and easily slide on the grass. Cleats give you the “grip” you need while sprinting back and forth to your team’s handler.
4) In order to make sure one person does not keep hold of the Frisbee for too long, a stall count is required. Each defender will count “Stall one, stall two…” etc. until reaching ten. By then the person is required to pass the disc on.
5) When the offense passes the disc and it hits the ground that is called a turn. The defending team quickly switches to offense. Turns are very frequent in Ultimate Frisbee.
6) An important thing in ultimate is to be ready to run because you run. A lot. The best way to get ready for Ultimate Frisbee is to do conditioning. Focus on exercise that will help to build up your endurance. I recommend conditioning with others in order to keep you motivated.