This Spicy Green Lentils Fry is a simple dish, which we make as a side dish for rice or rotis for lunch. This also goes well with any types of breads or sandwiches. If needed, any curry powders or garam masala powder can also be added along with the given powders for a much spicier version. The green lentils can also be substituted with green peas or any type of beans.
Spicy Green Lentils Fry
Green lentils, 1 cup.
Onion, large, 1.
Roma tomatoes, 2.
Ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon. This can be substituted with 2 crushed garlic pods.
Chili powder, 1 teaspoon.
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons.
Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon.
Salt as per taste.
Curry leaves, 3-4, (optional).
Chopped mint and cilantro, ¼ cup.
- Wash the lentils and cook them for 15-20 minutes with 2 cups of water in a pot under medium flame. They can also be cooked in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl. If cooking in the microwave, add a drop of oil to the water before cooking. This prevents the lentils from sticking to one another. The lentils should not lose their shape after cooking and should have a little crunch.
- Dice the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil starts to bubble, add the fennel seeds and fry for a few seconds.Then add the diced onions and sauté for a few minutes until the onions are tender.
- Then add the diced tomatoes, curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a few more minutes until everything is well blended.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, and the cooked lentils; mix everything and cook under medium flame for 10-12 minutes stirring the mixture in between. If needed, another tablespoon of oil can be added during the stirring process. This helps to fry the spices and release their flavors.
- Add the chopped mint and cilantro leaves at the end and serve as a side dish with rice or bread.