In an op-ed piece entitled “Stop All Immigration Into America”, published in The American Daily, Frosty Wooldridge emphatically declares that multiculturalism is a failure. He goes on to say that America should close its borders to all immigrants.
These new immigrants arrive from totally incompatible cultures. They are the seeds of cancer sewn into our social fabric that will eventually destroy our nation. Again, when the rate of immigration exceeds the rate of assimilation, it is a recipe for the annihilation of our civilization.
So is he right? In my opinion, no. Immigration has been a positive force in American society, not a negative. Yes, some immigrants are loath to adopt our language and culture. Yes, educating immigrant students is getting increasingly expensive. Yes, they sometimes take American jobs at lower wages. All of these things might be true, but immigrants have brought more to us then they have taken away.
When we think of Immigrants, we think of the people who cross the border illegally and take jobs away from America. We forget about the legal immigrants who come here hoping for a better life. Just who are these immigrants? Well here are some examples:
- Frank McCourt (Ireland), Author, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Angela’s Ashes.
- Andrew Grove (Hungary), Founder, Intel Corp.
- Max Frankel (Germany), Editor, New York Times
- Oscar de la Renta (Dominican Republic), Fashion Designer
- Bjarne Stroustrup (Denmark), Inventor of the C++ Programming Language
- Jenny Ming (Macau), CEO, Old Navy
- Madeleine Albright (Czech Republic), Former U.S. Secretary of State
- Andy Garcia (Cuba), Actor
- Carlos Santana (Mexico), Musician
- Albert Einstein (Germany), Physicist
(Originally published in Left to My Own Devices)Powered by Sidelines