• More powerful antivirus engine has been added to NIS 2012 giving the SONAR detection the ability to track more behaviors and translating that data to identify if something is risky or malicious. It is the same antivirus that is found in the stand-alone version
• Exploit Prevention is meant to protect your system from web-based exploits. What this means is that if and when your system is attacked, Norton will quietly block the attack and provide a notification of what it stopped. If you open the report you can read about what transpired in detail.
• Smart Firewall for NIS 2012 by default assigns internet and network permissions automatically. You have to dig pretty deep into the features to turn it off, but for most users this is just what a firewall is supposed to do – protect the system without bothering the user.
• Antispam within the suite does not need any configuration to run and it integrates nicely into Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express. It whitelists your contacts from your address books automatically.
• Phishing Protection is provided by the Norton toolbar that is installed as part of this suite. If you happen upon a site that has been identified as a potential problem, you will be redirected to a page that warns you of the problem. It uses real-time analysis to identify new problem sites.
• Improved Identity Safe is a feature that stores your passwords; you need only remember only one strong password, and by using your online Norton account, you can sync your passwords with all of your computers. It can also automate the filling out of Web forms and more.
I like the fact that Norton Internet Security 2012 contains the tools you need to keep your computer running smoothly. I really like the much more simplified dashboard so that you can see everything is running well, but when you need to, you can dig down to what you need and at all times you are the one in control.