If you weren't aware, Time Magazine's Claire Suddath hates Facebook. Specifically, she hates this current trend where people write 25 facts about them. Her core reasoning: "But it's just so stupid. Most people aren't funny, they aren't insightful, and they share way too much."
I agree with her on every facet of that statement. Thing is, that sentiment can be a reason to hate, well, all social networking. Most people using social networks are not very creative and have a tendency to be self-serving, banal, and pretentious. Which I believe were the reasons these sites were created in the first place — so these extremely annoying individuals could vent on the Internet about their own shortcomings and unimportant crises instead of calling us about it.
She continues, "I don't care that my college roommate's sister is anemic or that my stepcousin's boyfriend gets nervous around old people (apparently he's afraid they're going to die)." Right on! I for one agree that she shouldn't be forced at harpoon-point to read her friend's Facebook pages; memorize them; take a written blue-book exam to test her knowledge of her Internet acquaintance's personal quirks; and if she were to fail she would, um, be shot with the harpoon, I guess. So I feel for her in that regard, and hope that one day Ms. Suddath has the option of not reading things on the Internet that she doesn't want to read.
Furthermore, if only there were a way on Facebook to reduce the number of updates one could receive on a particular friend, maybe that would be better. Also, maybe there should be a way to control who your friends are on Facebook, because as it stands in the current system, you sign up for a profile and Facebook randomly assigns you 500 people from around the world that you have to like, and it's irreversible.
Having said that, it's time to share 25 facts about me. Ms. Suddath, I apologize in advance for ordering you to read these in exchange for releasing your mother from the waterboarding chamber. I mean, hell, you don't even know me!
1. In my spare time, I train walruses to hula hoop.
2. I once went to jail for trying to buy Community Chest. No, not Monopoly jail.
3. I have a lifetime .352 batting average in kickball, 3rd all time at Whiteford Elementary School.
4. I've been to over 17 different Subway sandwich restaurants.
5. Once I accidentally fell asleep wearing clothes.
6. My dead skin cells are insured for $4.5 million.
7. I can go several seconds without breathing.
8. I am rumored to be the next Akron Aeros assistant bullpen catcher coach.