The Blues Power Rankings is usually one of the highlights of my weeks, allowing me to rejoice in the success of great albums by favorite performers. That is tempered this week with the sad news of Robin Rogers’ passing late last week. Rogers’ Back In The Fire has been a fixture on the charts since its release shortly after she was diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer. These results were compiled before the sad news broke, meaning it was another strong week for album at radio.
I considered suspending BPR for the week because it just wasn’t going to be as much fun but I changed my mind. Rogers spent her final healthy months working hard to make Back In The Fire and her album has connected with blues listeners worldwide. Family and friends mourn her passing. Her many fans around the world can celebrate her music.
Rogers was among those nominated for awards for the 32nd Blues Music Awards to be handed out in Memphis next may. Several of the names on this week’s chart are also on that nominees list, among them Buddy Guy, Eden Brent, James Cotton, Kenny Neal, and Charlie Musselwhite. It has been an amazing year for the blues and doing this column every week has allowed me to be ever more mindful of that.
Here are the top albums and artists from blues radio for last week. We once again send our best to the family and friends of Robin Rogers.
- Buddy Guy – Living Proof
- Eden Brent – Ain’t Got No Troubles
- James Cotton – Giant
- Robin Rogers – Back In The Fire
- Eric Clapton – Clapton
- Various Artist – Louisiana Swamp Stomp
- Kenny Neal – Hooked On Your Love
- Various Artist – Santa’s Got Mojo
- Various Artist – Stony Plain’s Christmas Blues
- Charlie Musselwhite – The Well
- Albert Castiglia – Keepin On
- Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters – Spread The Love
- Reverend Raven & The Chain Smokin’ Altar Boys – Shake Your Boogie
- Studebaker John’s Maxwell Street Kings – That’s The Way You Do
- Cyndi Lauper – Memphis Blues
- Dave Specter – Spectified
- Tony Joe White – That On The Road Look – Live
- Lucky Peterson – You Can Always Turn Around
- Mel Brown – Love, Lost And Found
- James Kinds – Love You From The Top
- Elvin Bishop – Red Dog Speaks
- JP Blues – I Will Not Go Quietly
- Ray Charles – Rare Genius – The Undiscovered Masters
- Ron Tanski – Dragged You Down
- The Derek Trucks Band – Roadsongs