Talk to me about chocolate and you have my attention. Talk to me about ice cream with great flavors and you have my attention too — however, calories do count. Here is a real innovation in the frozen dessert aisle that will certainly get your attention! Lovin' Scoopful is a relatively new brand that launched in 2008 to provide a lower fat, lower calorie ice cream that has all the mouth feel and luscious taste of the full-fat varieties like Haagan Daz and other brands.
Lovin' Scoopful is rich and creamy churned light ice cream which has 1/2 the fat and 1/3 fewer calories than other premium ice creams. The delicious and figure-friendly treat is made with an all-natural base that comes from the milk and cream of cows not treated with the cow growth hormone, rBST. This natural approach promotes a healthier lifestyle while maintaining super-premium taste.
I had an opportunity to test out a couple of flavors. There were three stores in my local area that carried the brand. Being more adventurous in ice cream flavors, I went in with a list hoping to try three or four flavors since I had $1 coupons. What I had not realized is that the brand comes in half-gallon containers only. Typically only the big brands have that size and new brands come out in smaller containers so that you can buy and try out the flavors. I did not mind the half-gallon size but it meant that each different grocery chain was carrying the vanilla and chocolate flavors plus three to four other flavors at most. I wound up with two half-gallons: Caramel Chocolate Heaven and What the Fudge! At my super-large Ralphs store (a Kroger division), there were two other flavors as well: Yummy Cake & Cookie Dough and Mintalicious besides the vanilla and chocolate.
Since ice cream is a favorite treat in my home, we tested this out against a variety of other brands including super-premium ice creams and the Lovin' Scoopful definitely did well in the taste test. The mouth feel of a full-fat ice cream was there. The ice cream had a smooth, rich texture and it did not take long to go through a half-gallon. The fudge flavor was rich, and deep in flavor — fabulous! What is cool about Lovin' Scoopful is that it does not skimp on the extras mixed into the ice cream in flavors like Caramel Chocolate Heaven, which has caramel swirls along with caramel-flavored ice cream plus large pieces and shavings of chocolate in it, too. Yummy and luscious were words that I can easily attach to the What the Fudge and Caramel Chocolate Heaven flavors.
I love the brand and you could easily serve it to guests without any problems. The brand features a variety of recipes at various skill levels — from super easy to medium — for a slew of desserts that would be fun for company and make the ice cream more interesting.
One thing that consumers should know is that the price tag on a half-gallon is rather hefty and matches what a half-gallon of super-premium ice cream would cost. I happened to find the brand with a 50 cents off price cut plus my $1 coupon took the price of $5.49 a gallon to $4.00 a half-gallon. I figured I might have to pay something to try this ice cream but I was thinking that I was buying pints or quarts and not half-gallons. If I had to pay full price for this brand, it would be an 'extra' on my shopping list and not something I could buy every week. The fact that I paid $8 to try two different flavors prevented me from going back to hunt other stores to find more flavors. Even so, it was still a great treat and my 'better half,' who is a bigger ice cream junkie than I am, was loving the flavors and could not tell the difference between the full-fat, super-premium ice creams. (Talk about a great blind taste test!)
Here is the current list of Lovin' Scoopful Flavors:
- Baba's Butter Pecan Brittle – Uses butter pecan brittle bits.
- Mad About Mud Pie – Made with coffee, cookies and cream, almonds and fudge.
- Rockin' Raspberry Cheesecake – Made with raspberries and cheesecake bits.
- Caramel Chocolate Crispy Treat – Uses rich and creamy vanilla with chocolate covered crispy rice pieces, and then swirl in a thick caramel ribbon.
- Oh My Blueberry Pie – Uses swirled blueberry ribbon into churned light blueberry ice cream and then mixed in sugar coated pie crust pieces.
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup – Uses churned light peanut butter ice cream loaded with mini peanut butter cups and slathered in a thick fudge ribbon.
- Mintalicious – Uses green mint flavor by mixing in mint filled milk chocolate hearts along with the chocolate chips.
- Cozy Vanilla – Made with extra pure all natural bourbon vanilla extract.
- Out of this World Chocolate – Uses exotic rich chocolate.
- So Good Cookies and Cream – Uses milk chocolate and cookies & cream churned light ice cream.
- Caramel Chocolate Heaven – Churned light caramel ice cream is packed with caramel filled chocolate cups and Lovingly slathered in a thick fudge ribbon.
- Yummy Cake & Cookie Dough – Uses cake batter mixed in chunks of chocolate and heaps of chocolate chip cookie dough.
- What the Fudge! – Made exotically rich with 'out of this world' chocolate smothered with a Lovin' helping of thick fudge.
I can't wait till my local stores get some of the newer flavors in because I would definitely try them — just not at the rate I typically buy ice cream (because ice cream junkies just plow right through it!)
You can find Lovin' Scoopful Ice Cream if you check their website for the stores nearest you. The zip code search function can help you find any stores within a reasonable radius. You can check their Facebook page for 'scoops' on new flavors and also follow them on Twitter.