FDR began his program of economic warfare by embargoing strategic goods. In September, he banned exports of iron and steel to Japan. In June 1941, he restricted oil shipments to Japan. Soon thereafter, FDR froze Japan's funds in the United States. This was followed by many public demands for Japanese capitulation. Roosevelt also refused to meet with Japan's Prime Minister.
Caught in an economic trap, Japan did not hide their intention of going to war with the US, and went so far as to speak of war if no settlement were reached by November of 1941.
In any event, Pearl Harbor happened and it galvanized the American public's willingness to enter WWII behind the rallying cry "Avenge Pearl Harbor!" Regardless of whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, the point is, the citizens of the USA were likely lied to.
Operation Northwoods was a government plan devised and approved by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and likely to be carried out with the help of the CIA in order to manufacture consent for a war against Cuba in the early 1960s. The documents exhibit a considerable willingness on the part of our government to deceive, severely endanger and/or kill its own civilians. In particular, the Joint Chiefs recommended the following actions:
1. Using the potential death of astronaut John Glenn during the first attempt to put an American into orbit as a false pretext for war with Cuba.
2. Start false rumors about Cuba by using clandestine radios.
3. Stage mock attacks, sabotages and riots and blame it on Cuban forces.
4. Sink an American ship at the Guantanamo Bay American military base - reminiscent of the USS Maine incident at Havana in 1898 which started the Spanish-American War - or destroy American aircraft and blame it on Cuban forces.
5. Harassment of civil air, attacks on surface shipping and destruction of US military drone aircraft by MIG type [sic] planes would be useful as complementary actions.
6. Destroy a fake commercial aircraft supposedly full of "college students off on a holiday".
7. Stage a "terror campaign", including the "real or simulated" sinking of Cuban refugees.
8. "We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington. The terror campaign could be pointed at Cuban refugees seeking haven in the United States. We could sink a boatload of Cubans enroute [sic] to Florida (real or simulated). We could foster attempts on lives of Cuban refugees in the United States even to the extent of wounding in instances to be widely publicized."