Let me, um, be perfectly clear. Gilbert Arenas is an idiot. And what he did wasn't just stupid, it was criminal. I'm not so much talking about being in Washington D.C. with a gun licensed in Virginia. After all, unless you are unfamiliar with the Bill of Rights, or you're a statist true believer, you know that the laws in D.C. are unconstitutional, and have snared countless, otherwise law-abiding citizens, in a disgusting trap that is a stain on this country and what it purports to stand for.
What Arenas did was use his weapon to intimidate others when there was no threat to his life. Nothing else matters. That is the crime, and that is what we should be focusing on. It shouldn't matter that he had his gun in the sports arena, or in D.C., or that it was loaded, or whatever other silliness the media has been focused on. This isn't a gun issue. This is a Gilbert Arenas issue.
ESPN was asking whether it was shocking that a survey says 75% of NBA players carry a firearm. It's not shocking, it's common sense. Frankly, I'm shocked about the other 25% but I hope they're just lying. Consider that just in the last couple of years alone, NFL's Sean Taylor was murdered in his home by intruders, NY Giant Steven Smith was robbed in his driveway after being dropped off by a chauffer at his townhome, Oakland's Jevon Walker was robbed and beaten unconscious in Las Vegas, Jacksonville Jaguars Richard Collier was left paralyzed below the waist, and lost his leg after being shot while waiting on the street for his date, just to name a few. The simple fact is it's a dangerous world especially if you are famous.
Those of us who understand that not all conflicts can be swayed with happy talk know how it goes. The fact is that we're all targets for crime. But professional athletes, wildly rich beyond dreams, with an aura of invincibility, provide both an economic and reputational attraction to criminals. After all, it's one thing to be known as the tough guy in the hood, but to be the guy who robbed a professional linebacker is like winning the Nobel for muggers. All the 17 year olds in Brooklyn with .380s in their pockets know exactly what I'm talking about. Lastly, bear in mind that, the Police aren't there to protect you, their job is to enforce the law (which has to be broken first).