On Tuesday, April 3, 2012, Obama spoke to the Associated Press, saying his budget prevented disaster. Obama, focusing on Ryan's proposed budget cuts, said they mean Americans will be dying from starvation and defenseless from hurricanes and other natural disasters. So let's examine what he said:
- Nearly 10 million college students would see their financial aid cut by an average of more than $1,000 each.
- There would be 1,600 fewer medical grants; research grants for things like Alzheimer's and cancer and AIDS.
- There would be 4,000 fewer scientific research grants, eliminating support for 48,000 researchers, students, and teachers.
- Investments in clean energy technologies that are helping us reduce our dependence on foreign oil would be cut by nearly a fifth.
- Over 200,000 children would lose their chance to get an early education in the Head Start program.
- Two million mothers and young children would be cut from a program that gives them access to healthy food.
- There would be 4,500 fewer federal grants at the Department of Justice and the FBI to combat violent crime, financial crime, and help secure our borders.
- Hundreds of national parks would be forced to close for part or all of the year.
- We wouldn't have the capacity to enforce the laws that protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, or the food that we eat.
- Cuts to the FAA would likely result in more flight cancellations, delays, and the complete elimination of air traffic control services in parts of the country.
- Our weather forecasts would become less accurate because we wouldn't be able to afford to launch new satellites, meaning governors and mayors would have to wait longer to order evacuations in the event of a hurricane.
Obama continued, "... there is no secret plan or formula that will be able to protect the investments we need to help our economy grow." Isn't it ironic that he would use the words "economy grow" since we are still waiting, after over three years of his policies, to see the economy grow?