Mushy, our "friendly" neighbourhood Pakistani dictator, never ceases to entertain. I have been laughing hard since I heard this bit of news. If only "peace treaties" were as entertaining as this one, history classes would have been more interesting.
And to add to the mirth, the dumb Americans and the "international community" seem to have fallen for this rope-a-dope trick hook, line, and sinker.
The White House defended the deal because the Musharraf government "has been very cooperative in helping track down members of al-Qaeda." Said White House Spokesperson, Tony Snow, "There's been an implication that somehow this throws open the border area to al-Qaeda. That does not make sense for the government of Pakistan. We don't believe it is the case." Snow accused reporters of trying to connect non-existent dots to reach their conclusions.
Read this headline and roll:
Pakistan signs peace deal with pro-Taliban militants - Critics say treaty, which calls for end to terrorist actions, seems 'a total capitulation' by Islamabad.
The dhimwits don't seem to get it do they? Pakistan and Mushy are not capitulating to anything. The Paki Army is perfectly capable of hunting mountain rats. The murder of Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti is proof positive of that.
Let's see what the terms of this so called "peace treaty" are.
- The Utmanzai tribe of North Waziristan Agency have committed that personnel of army and law enforcing agencies and state properties will not be attacked. (Meaning Pakistan rangers and border guards "guarding" the Pak-Afghan border to prevent the NATO forces from crossing over the border to attack Al-Qaeda in Waziristan. Hmm... I think A-Q & Co will "respect" this term.)
- No target killing shall be carried out. (They're terrorists. They do mostly indiscriminate killing.)
- No parallel administration will be established in the area. (Then who are you signing a "peace treaty" with? Are you not recognising them as a "parallel" administration already?)
- No cross border movement to Afghanistan for militant activities will be carried out and no ingress in settled areas adjacent to North Waziristan Agency will take place. (Translation — NATO forces will not be allowed inside Waziristan.)
- Similarly they have resolved that all foreigners in North Waziristan will leave Pakistan (Al Qaeda get out!!) albeit those who are unable to do so for certain genuine reasons(Wait! Wait! on second thoughts please sit back and enjoy our "hospitality") shall respect law of the land and abide by all conditions of the agreement. They shall not disturb the peace and tranquility of the area.
An eminent American blogger called Marc Schulman has this to say about the treaty: "One possibility - the most hopeful possibility - is that, with the withdrawal of Pakistani troops from the North Waziristan, it would be easier for our troops to cross the Pakistani border in search of bin Laden without raising the ire of Pakistanis living in government-controlled areas."