Much has been written and said by both conservatives and liberals about Vice President Joe Biden's laughing, disrespectful, rude performance at last Thursday's (October 11, 2012) vice presidential debate. The conservative/liberal political angle has been written about so much that I just could not resist offering these Biblical passages in yet another angle.
There is, in the Old Testament of the Holy Bible, the book of Proverbs, the parables of Solomon, the son of David, king of Israel. It "is so called, because it consists of wise and weighty sentences: regulating the morals of men: and directing them to wisdom and virtue." Let's see what the world's most published, read, and quoted book says:
- Proverbs, chapter 29, verse 9:
- "If a wise man hath a controversy with a foolish man, Whether he be angry or laugh, there will be no rest." And, here is John Wesley's comment: "addressing the word "Whether," Wesley says, Whether - Whether he, the wise man, deal sharply with him, or mildly, there is no rest, no end or fruit of the debate.And permit me to add these two verses as well, verses 11 and 12:
"A fool uttereth all his anger; But a wise man keepeth it back and stilleth it.""If a ruler hearkeneth to falsehood, All his servants are wicked."
- Proverbs, chapter 30, verse 32:
- "If thou hast done foolishly in lifting up thyself, Or if thou hast thought evil, [Lay] thy hand upon thy mouth." Verse 33 offers perspective and what is to come: "Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife."Wesley's comment:
- verse 32: Thought - Designed any injury against thy neighbour.
verse 33: The forcing - The stirring up of wrath, either in a man's self towards others, by giving way to passion; or in others by reproaches, or any other provocations."
- Proverbs, chapter 1, verse 22:
- "How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? And scoffers delight them in scoffing, And fools hate knowledge?"Wesley's comment:
Scoffers - That scoff at religion and condemn the word and faithful ministers of God.
My comment: The operative part of this verse is, "And fools hate knowledge?"
- Proverbs, chapter 3, verse 35:
- "The wise shall inherit glory; But shame shall be the promotion of fools."Wesley's comment:
Shame - Instead of that glory which they seek.
- Proverbs, chapter 10, verse 14:
- "The wise store away knowledge. But the mouth of the foolish is a neighbor to confusion."Wesley's comment:
Knowledge - Whereby they may be enabled to speak both what, and when it is seasonable.
But - Fools are more forward to lay out than to lay up, and for want of knowledge speak much and foolishly, whereby they frequently bring destruction upon themselves.
Just so you readers don't get confused, it was Joe Biden who laughed, was condescending, rude, and acted the fool.