The questions no one ever asks are why are they trying to get reelected, and why are they trying to regain control of Congress? It seems from the moment they arrive, their main goal is to perform some function or say some thing that will ensure that their voters back home will remain endeared to them at the end of their term. Was Henry Kissinger correct when he said, "90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad name?" Does Charlie Rangel love serving the people of New York, or does he enjoy being a congressman? What if we eliminated the possibility that it could be the latter?
If representatives and senators were limited in the number of times they could serve in office, the lure of the vote would not be as strong. Maybe they would perform their representative function. Maybe there would be compromise instead of stubborn and irrational opposition. Maybe then their language and their actions would have some heft.
As P.J. O'Rourke once said, "the Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."
What if it didn't matter what they said, and they got to the business of doing?
Well, hopefully, Dan Quayle had it right when he said "the future will be better tomorrow".