Steve McQueen once said, "I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth". Still, many songwriters might not share McQueen's favorable views on nowhere. Gathering a list of songs with the word "nowhere" in the title can produce a playlist filled with lyrical uncertainty and a lost disconnected mood. Still, that doesn't mean it's not a darn good listen:
1) "Radio Nowhere" by Bruce Springsteen
2) "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" by Neil Young
3) "Sailing to Nowhere" by Broken Bells *
4) "Nowhere Man" by The Beatles
5) "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" by Bob Dylan **
6) "Miles From Nowhere" by Cat Stevens
7) "Out of Nowhere" by Charlie Parker (also listened to Dave Brubeck and Cal Tjader versions) ***
8) "Nowhere to Run" by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
9) "In The Middle of Nowhere" by Dusty Springfield
11) "Going Nowhere" by Los Bravos ****
12) "Nowhere Is My Home" by The Replacements
13) "Road to Nowhere" by The Talking Heads
14) "East Jesus Nowhere" by Green Day
15) "This Is Nowhere" by The Airborne Toxic Event *****
* Broken Bells is the new collaboration of Shins vocalist James Mercer and producer/instrumentalist Danger Mouse. Their self titled album was released last week and is an outstanding listen – wonderful indie pop.
** The Byrds do a great cover of this for the opener of their influential country-rock album Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Still, you can't beat the Dylan original here.
*** "Out of Nowhere" is a jazz standard first recorded way back in 1931 by Bing Crosby. Great versions abound including those by Coleman Hawkins, Dave Brubeck, Cal Tjader
**** Los Bravos was a 1960s Spanish rock group known best for their top 10 his "Black is Black". Why do I have more than one Los Bravos track? Good question! This one is on the excellent second Nuggets boxed set of lesser known international garage and psychedelic songs, Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts From The British Empire and Beyond.
***** My wife loved the 2007 debut of this Los Angeles indie rock band, and, with songs like this, I'm not surprised.Powered by Sidelines