A blonde friend of mine was getting real tired of hearing blonde jokes, so she decided to do something about it. In order to prove that not all blondes were stupid, she studied a United States map and memorized all the state capitals.
Eventually, an acquaintance started to tell a new blonde joke. “She quickly interrupted, “Not all blondes are stupid! Give me the name of any state and I’ll tell you it’s capital.”
So someone called out “Vermont”.
“V,” she replied proudly.
Blondes have been the subject of many a cruel joke for decades. The scientific explanation for blonde hair is that the follicles contain low levels of the dark pigment eumelanin and higher levels of the pale pigment phæomelanin.
Blonde hair has always been looked upon as a desirable feature by many dark-haired peoples. For example, in ancient Rome, women used to buy wigs made from the yellow hair of Germanic tribes people. Some have even suggested that fair-hair stirs feelings of affection and protection due to blonde hair’s similarity to the fair-hair of children.
Many believe the blonde’s current role in popular culture is owed to one Marylin Monroe and specifically, the 1953 film “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” Marylin Monroe was known for her blond hair as well as her naïve innocence.
Unfortunately for natural blondes, these two characteristics became fused, mostly due to the cultural influence of film, television and fashion.
The legend of the “blonde” has been spread in song as well as image. The following playlist contains songs about or inspired by blondes. Please add any other “Songs About Blondes” that you are aware of to the comments.
1. Yard Of Blonde Girls – Jeff Buckley
2. Dirty Blonde – The Bad Plus
3. Dishwater Blonde – Willy Porter
4. Sometimes A Blonde – Robyn Hitchcock
5. Reddish Blonde – Francine
7. Blondes (Have More Fun) – Rod Stewart
8. Supernatural Blonde – Marvelous 3
9. Lebanese Blonde – Thievery Corporation
10. Suicide Blonde – INXS
11. Platinum Blonde (Demo Version) – Blondie
12. Blonde In The Bleachers – Joni Mitchell
13. Blonde Hair, Blue Jeans – Chris De Burgh
14. Blonde – The Wedding Present
15. Truly Blonde – Hyperplush
16. Platinum Blonde – No Doubt
17. Naturally Blonde – Jenifer Jackson
18. Short Blonde Hair – Everclear
19. Blondes With Lobotomy Eyes – My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult Powered by Sidelines