President Barack H. Obama, with an unbelievable amount of chutzpah, claims that he is the fourth greatest president in US history. He said,
The issue here is not going be a list of accomplishments. As you said yourself, Steve, you know, I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president – with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln – just in terms of what we’ve gotten done in modern history. But, you know, but when it comes to the economy, we’ve got a lot more work to do.
He actually said that. He made this claim during a CBS 60 Minutes show interview that aired (without his boast) on December 11, 2011.But his claim was part of the 60 Minutes Overtime broadcast. “… but…when it comes to the economy, we’ve got a lot more work to do.” has to be the understatement of all time!
So with his statement/claim as a reference, let’s examine what he has “accomplished:”
- Federal spending, the budget deficit, and national debt are now at highest level as a percentage of GDP since WWII
- America’s credit rating downgraded for the first time in history
- Worst housing crisis since the Great Depression
- Rate of economic growth only slightly higher than in the 1930s, during the Great Depression
- Worst jobs record of any modern president
- Highest black unemployment in 28 years
- One in six Americans live in (what he defines as) poverty
- 46 million Americans now living in poverty, the most since the Census Bureau began keeping records in 1959
- A record number of Americans now rely on food stamps
- Thirty four consecutive months with unemployment over 8 percent
- Had to reduce the number of people looking for jobs to get the jobless rate below nine percent
- Unemployment worse than during the Great Depression
- Lowest consumer confidence index in 30 years
- Highest misery index in 28 years
- Wasted taxpayer money on “green energy” projects
- Launched a third war in Libya by avoiding Congressional approval; something Vice President Biden called an impeachable offense, and which Obama himself declared unconstitutional
While it’s true that he inherited some of these problems, while campaigning (did he ever stop?), he promised to correct and/or alleviate them all. And now he has the hubris to say his accomplishments rank him as the fourth greatest president in US history.
Add to his economic “accomplishments” these statements and actions and you get a much clearer and truer picture of Obama!
- Said that Americans are lazy
- Visited all 57 states
- Thought Hawaii was part of Asia
- Said the US built the “intercontinental” railroad
- Mispronounced corpsman (the ps is silent)
- Apologized to the world for past American actions
- Said that America was not exceptional
- Ignores the US Constitution when it suits him
Fourth greatest president, huh? Well, when he displaced Jimmy Carter, I guess Obama’s “hope springs eternal” went into overdrive!
I am not saying that other presidents were perfect; far from it. But to listen to Obama make that statement with his actual record so easy to access is beyond the pale.
But that’s just my opinion.