We are at the turn of the tech achievement century when 3D vision is becoming widely used, real and absolutely available. NVIDIA gives us an opportunity to be closer to this new technology by providing the NVIDIA 3D Vision set onto the market, which today helps us to enjoy the 3D vision at our PC or television. The set features:
- an infrared transmitter with USB-connecting, wireless stereo-glasses set
- functioning up to 40 hours without charging;
- adjustable nose pieces;
- software CD;
- storage pouch/cleaning cloth combo;
- cable set.
3D Vision features and benefits:
- Converting standard games in 3D. Advanced NVIDIA® software allows to convert more than 400 games into stereoscopic 3D without special game patches.
- Maximum “softness” of displays 3D Ready.
- Safe wireless connection.
- More than 40 hours of games without recharging.
- Support of 3D picture.
- Full support of Blue-ray 3D in the most popular applications for Blue-ray rendering.
- Full support of 3D video on your PC with help of NVIDIA 3D Vision video player.
The NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses are easy to use and they look like standard dark sunglasses. The glasses are comfortable enough to put them on your spectacles. With NVIDIA 3D Vision technology you may use more than one pair of glasses at the same time, and the infrared transmitter covers about six meters distance, which allows using a large screen.
Stereoscopic Display System gives two images: one for the right eye, and another for the left one. The two pictures together give the impression of depth and dimension. There are several ways to create a stereoscopic picture, two of which are based on use of active and passive 3D glasses.
Passive 3D glasses configuration consists of polarized filters, which directs the stereoscopic picture to the corresponding eye. Since these glasses do not content electronics, they cost much more cheaper. Such glasses are used manly in the cinema.
Active 3D system, on the contrary, contains electronics, which alternatively closes LC-gates for the left and right eye, creating the same effect. Such glasses are more complicated (and more expensive as a result), but this active 3D system provides higher definition for the eye and wider view angle, than passive 3D glasses. NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision set relates to the active system type.
The recommended price is $150 for a set. A compatible monitor will cost you $300. So, what should one have to work with the newest technology? NVIDIA describes the minimum characteristics necessary to use 3D Vision system with your PC:
• OS Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7;
• 3D Vision compliant device;
• video card powerful enough (NVIDIA, GeForce 8, GeForce GTX 200);
• memory size recommended – 2 Gb and more;
• CPU Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2.
It is important to understand, that the above mentioned characteristics are the minimal ones. For qualitative compliance of work with a system it is better to use higher characteristics at your PC or TV-set. And the most important condition is to have a 3D Vision compliant device, as there will be no 3D picture even if you have the most productive processor or the most effective video card.
In general, the necessary devices list contains:
• more or less new LCD displays with Full HD (1920*1080);
• LCD displays with 1680*1050 resolution;
• CRT displays with 100-120 Hz output;
• some HDTV-devices like Full HD TV-sets, or HDTV TV-sets, with Generic DLP HDTV mode;
• modern models of game laptops.
Games, which are highly compatible with 3D Vision, look just terrific! All three-dimensional objects and surfaces get real dimension. Games with 3D Vision ready rate, such as Metro 2033 or Left 4 Dead, are the most attractive in stereo mode.
It is worth saying that productivity in stereo mode is about 50% lower than in usual “plane” 3D. Games requiring higher productivity will not run in stereo mode with maximum settings and you will have to degrade them, even if you have GeForce GTX 480, say nothing of low-power video cards. Now stereo mode in 3D Vision is available just in full-screen mode. I have experienced some flashing problems, caused by the difference in frequency of LCD monitor and light sources. There is one more bug in this technology: while watching fast video or 3D games, very fast moves are divided into separate steps. Viewing angles are satisfactory, the image is getting dark with attitude more than 30 degrees. Yet, stereo effect is evident with more deviation of eye from the perpendicular. One more problem has appeared in some FPS games, that is sighting device dose not disappear. Stereo driver cannot find out whether it is game scene or staging video that is why the sighting device is always at the screen.
In general, despite the high requirements for entry, 3D Vision has the potential to attract more users each day.Powered by Sidelines