Welcome to my November list. This month featured the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to movies that I saw this month.
Best of the Month: The Incredibles
- After the Sunset. A fun, if insubstantial action/adventure. Jewel thieves on a remote island. Salma Hayek looks great, and is the most memorable part of the film. **.5
- Alexander. Oliver Stone’s goofy tale of Alexander the Great. Colin Farrell is miscast, Jolie hams it up, and everyone else is just there. Nearly three hours of boredom. *
- Alfie. The ubiquitous Jude Law takes the Michael Caine role in this remake. A womanizer gains more than he bargained for. I thought this was rather good, fun movie. ***
- The Incredibles. Simply put, it is incredible. Brad Bird directs a film which gives us a new look at living like a superhero. Great film on all counts. ****
- National Treasure. Rather bland action/adventure. The story is ridiculous, and the whole exercise is rather weak. **
- The Polar Express. Potential Christmas classic? A couple of sequences did not completely work for me, but it does not damper the wonder that is created in this world. ***
- Ray. Carried by the wonderful performance from Jamie Foxx, we are given one of the most entertaining biopics of recent memory. Very good film. ***.5
- Seed of Chucky. I left this one with mixed thoughts. It was fun, but all over the map. It has a decent creep factor in the new doll addition. **.5
- Sideways. Wonderful movie, it is a believable film populated with real characters. It has some laugh out loud funny moments, but many more touching quieter times. ***.5
- Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie. My first experience with the sponge. An oddly fun experience. Hyper type of comedy, the kids will love it if they don’t already. ***
- Tarnation. An exercise in style and an excising of personal demons. Not sure I buy into the whole thing, credibility is an issue to me. But I do admire the mixed media approach. **
I know that my 2004 top ten had a film from this month ranked higher than my pick for best of the month, but the monthly pick of The Incredibles is destined for more repeat play.
Visit me at Draven99’s Musings.Powered by Sidelines