Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, Bob Fosse's CHICAGO began its revival on May 2nd of 1996 from a humble beginning as the first offering of the third season of the Encores series of musicals in concert at City Center in New York. This was the first time CHICAGO had been seen on stage since the original production closed in 1977.
The original, which began its run in 1975, was overshadowed by the phenomenon that was “A Chorus Line”. By 1996, much had changed in society and with the media glam of the O.J. Simpson trial; we were now ready for the murderess Roxie who is always seeking publicity and her cell mate Velma.
On November 14, 1996 CHICAGO moved to Broadway where it would begin its official run to its 10th anniversary this month in 2006. While the cast would change over time, the quality of performers continued. These included Bebe Neuwirth (Cheers), Joel Grey (Cabaret), Melanie Griffith(Working Girl), Brook Shields (Suddenly Susan), Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman) and Jerry Orback (Law & Order).
This package contains two CD's with newly recorded songs by Melanie Griffith, Brooke Shields, Lynda Carter, and John O'Hurley. Legendary performances by Chita Rivera, Gwen Verdon, Jerry Orbach, Liza Minnelli, Ute Lemper and never-before-released demos by John Kander and Fred Ebb. And there is a DVD that contains performance footage, interviews and more as well as an exclusive 68-page book featuring the provocative photos from CHICAGO's groundbreaking advertising campaign.
Disk one is the musical performance of CHICAGO with some dialog between tracks. It is a very clean and crisp set of performances that bring you right into the show.
Disk two is a set of alternate performances as well as numbers from the original 1975 shows.
The DVD contains: Interviews, The story of “Ten Percent” and some very interesting intermixing of various international versions of “All that Jazz”, “All I Care About” and “Roxie”
1. Overture - The Band (Not the rock group)
2. All That Jazz - Bebe Neuwirth & Co.
3. Funny Honey - Ann Reinking with Joel Grey & Michael Kubala
4. Cell Block Tango - Bebe Neuwirth & Girls
5. When You're Good to Mama - Marcia Lewis
6. All I Care About - James Naughton
7. A Little Bit of Good - D. Sabella
8. We Both Reached for the Gun - James Naughton, Ann Reinking, D. Sabella & Company
9. Roxie - Ann Reinking & Boys
10. I Can't Do It Alone - Bebe Neuwirth
11. I Can't Do It Alone (Reprise) - Bebe Neuwirth
12. My Own Best Friend - Ann Reinking & Bebe Neuwirth
13. Entr'acte - The Band (Not the rock group)
14. I Know a Girl - Bebe Neuwirth
15. Me and My Baby - Ann Reinking & Boys
16. Mister Cellophane - Joel Grey
17. When Velma Takes the Stand - Bebe Neuwirth & Boys
18. Razzle Dazzle - James Naughton & Company
19. Class - Bebe Neuwirth & Marcia Lewis
20. Nowadays - Ann Reinking & Bebe Neuwirth
21. Hot Honey Rag - The Band
22. Finale - Company