Every year has its clunkers but it’s very difficult to find many in 1984. The major clunkers are by artists who also released memorable hits during the year but temporarily went astray.
1. “ Hello Again ”-The Cars: It’s difficult to follow up a song as incredible as “Drive,” but The Cars made sure that the fourth single from Heartbeat City was as different as possible from the rest. The only real difference between this song and the others was that it didn’t have a distinguishable beat or hook.
2. “ Cover Me ”-Bruce Springsteen: Besides “No Surrender,” this is the only other clunker on the otherwise solid Born in the USA album. Then again, what do I know: “Cover Me” had no problem becoming a top ten single in the autumn of 1984.
3. “ Money Changes Everything ”-Cyndi Lauper: After four top five singles in 1984, Cyndi tried for a fifth (and failed miserably) with this hard rock clunker that is also one of the worst live performance videos ever released.
4. “ Cool It Now ”-New Edition: Just about the most annoying record ever made. The lyrics, rapping, and annoying drum machine belong just where the song appealed to: a fourth grade playground.
5. “ Keeping The Faith ”-Billy Joel: The absolute worst song off of An Innocent Man, one of the best albums of the 1980s. Even Christie Brinkley’s appearance in the video couldn’t propel this song to the hit status of other singles from the album.
While I’m sure that there are some who may agree with my choices, other people may have a different take on the best and worst singles of 1984. What are some of your favorites that I missed? Were there any songs from this year that you absolutely despised?