Blogcritics' longest running souldeath series resumes this week with our look at what is being downloaded at the iTunes Music Store, now the largest U.S. music retailer.
We begin with a look at the singles and setting aside for the moment my desire to be snarky and cruel, let us focus on the news that Eminem's new single is rising quickly in advance of his new album. I'll admit I thought his run was over but it looks like there may still be gas in that tank. What's going to be interesting is the release date of the record. The album has leaked two weeks early — shocking, I know — so will the label move the date up? Will that change the rate of legal downloads at your iTunes Music Store? We'll keep an eye on that.
Moving now to the albums chart, let's give it up for the mighty, mighty Black Keys and their mighty, mighty fine album Brothers. The cover art for Brothers has to go among the worst ever but the music- wow! There have been many overhyped indie bands and indie records- this is not one of them. Download — or better, purchase — this album immediately and without further delay.
Jack Johnson's latest is topping the album chart. The album is at least partially inspired by that circle of life of Johnson's children being born and the loss of his father. The number of bad songs written about an artists' children makes me nervous where that's concerned — you all remember "With Arms Wide Open," don't you — but artists follow their muse where it takes them and To The Sea has taken Johnson to #1.
Here is the full rundown of singles and albums on the iTunes Music Store charts
iTunes' top 10 selling singles of the week ending June 7, 2010:
- "California Gurls (feat. Snoop Dogg)" - Katy Perry
- "Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams of Paramore)" - B.o.B.
- "OMG (feat. will.i.am)" - Usher
- "Billionaire (feat. Bruno Mars)" - Travie McCoy
- "Your Love Is My Drug" - Ke$ha
- "Not Afraid" - Eminem
- "Miss Me (feat. Lil Wayne)" - Drake
- "Rock That Body" - Black Eyed Peas
- "Alejandro" - Lady GaGa
- "Bulletproof" - La Roux
iTunes' top 10 selling albums of the week ending June 7, 2010:
- To the Sea - Jack Johnson
- Glee — The Music, Vol. 3 — Showstoppers - Glee Cast
- Rokstarr - Taio Cruz
- The Fame Monster - Lady GaGa
- Glee: The Music, Journey to Regionals - Glee Cast
- B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray - B.o.B
- Brothers - The Black Keys
- Broken Bells - Broken Bells
- Songs Under a Streetlight - Joshua Radin
- Animal - Ke$ha