âI've got this camera click, click, clickin' in my head,â said Elvis Costello in âIâm Not Angry.â These following songs, f-stop at f-off, offer up some cherished memories of put-downs and general piss-offedness. Here are my Kodak moments:
11. âWaitress In The Skyâ by the Replacements. A mild enough rebuke, perhaps, but Iâve had my own share of problems with stewardesses, too--so this time itâs personal:
Sanitation expert and a maintenance engineer
Garbage man, a janitor and you my dear
A real union flight attendant, my oh my
You ain't nothin' but a waitress in the sky...
10. âReelinâ In The Yearsâ by Steely Dan. See you in September...then again:
You been tellin' me you're a genius
Since you were seventeen
In all the time I've known you
I still don't know what you mean
The weekend at the college
Didn't turn out like you planned
The things that pass for knowledge
I can't understand.
9. âHoliday In Cambodiaâ by the Dead Kennedys. It may have been more of an extended weekend at the college, but real life still has its rude awakenings:
So you been to school
For a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car
Thinkin' you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl.
Play ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the niggers feel cold
And the slums got so much soul.
8.âStupid Thingâ by Aimee Mann. She makes me feel like shit:
Maybe that's just how I am
to fall where I stand, or I'm
weak for that kind of man
one who looks helpless and brave
but you turned into a coward
I don't care for the parts you saved.
You stupid thing.
7. âParting Giftâ by Fiona Apple. Okay, at least weâre good for something, but I still feel like shit:
Oh you silly stupid pastime of mine
You were always good for rhyme.
7. âMercury Poisoningâ by Graham Parker. Spittle virtually flies off albums like âSqueezinâ Out Sparksâ from the trenchant relationship attacks. This time around, Graham aims at his old record company--but hey, nothing personal. Right?:
For them it's inconvenience for me it's hell
The geriatric staff think we're freaks
They couldn't sell kebabs to the Greeks, the geeks
Inaction speaks, and âŚ
âŚIs this a Russian conspiracy, no it's just idiocy
Is this a Chinese burn
I gotta dinosaur for a representative
It's got a small brain and refuses to learn