It's only fitting that a Giant Of The Blues would name his album Giant, and if you've that kind of ambition you belong at the top of the chart and that's where harp legend James Cotton finds himself with his latest release from Alligator Records. Robin Rogers has yet to crack the top spot but continues to hold strong at the #2, continuing to get great radio airplay at blues radio.
The surprise this week for me is Eric Clapton's latest record charting so well at blues radio. There is a segment of the blues audience that views Clapton as far too rock and roll and while his work to pay tribute to blues greats is appreciated, his music isn't universally embraced. Clapton is a really strong record and there are a couple songs that feature guest harp work from Kim Wilson; if I had to venture a guess, those are the songs getting the most spins on blues stations this week.
Duke Robillard's Passport to The Blues surged 12 spots back into the Top 5 this week and this week also marks the return of Peter Karp & Sue Foley's He Said She Said record, one of the best of 2010. I'm struck as I glance up and down the chart at just how many of these records I've gotten to spend time with and fall in love with and how many others I still need to seek out. This week's Blues Power Rankings are strong.
Let's also throw some shoutouts in the direction of Aussie bluesman Claude Hay for entering the charts this week with his Deep Fried Satisfied.
- James Cotton - Giant
- Robin Rogers - Back In The Fire
- Duke Robillard - Passport To The Blues
- Davis Coen - Jukebox Classic
- Elvin Bishop - Red Dog Speaks
- Kenny Neal - Hooked On Your Love
- Eric Clapton - Clapton
- JJ Grey & Mofro - Georgia Warhorse
- The Robert Cray Band - Cookin' In Mobile
- Charlie Musselwhite - The Well
- Jimmie Vaughan - Plays Blues, Ballads & Favorites
- Albert Castiglia - Keepin On
- Mitch Kashmar & The Pontiax - 100 Miles To Go
- Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - Spread The Love
- Steve Miller Band - Bingo!
- Dr. John And The Lower 911 - Tribal
- The Derek Trucks Band - Roadsongs
- Walter Trout - Common Ground
- Lucky Peterson - You Can Always Turn Around
- Jay Gaunt - Harmonicopia
- Claude Hay - Deep Fried Satisfied
- JW-Jones - Midnight Memphis Sun
- Bob Corritore & Friends - Harmonica Blues
- Dave Specter - Spectified
- John Butler Trio - April Uprising
- Hosea Hargrove - Tex Golden Nugget
- Peter Karp & Sue Foley - He Said She Said
- Alabama Mike - Tailor Made Blues
- Otis Taylor - Clovis People Vol. 3
- Peaches Staten - Live At Legends