The other day I read this article online about how scientists have discovered a genetic mutation that causes a rare disease, which makes those afflicted smell like rotten fish. Fish-odor syndrome (primary trimethylaminuria) is a bodily emission of trimethylamine (TMA). TMA is a byproduct in the breakdown of choline rich foods, such as fish, eggs, and liver. What a bummer disease.
Anyway this story got me thinking about creating a playlst. Could I actually create a playlist of songs about “Smelling Like Fish”? Well, the answer is yes. The majority of the stinky fish songs I found are innuendo dealing with a certain part of the female anatomy. And most of them are early blues songs with the exception of “Rotten Fish“, which is just plain wrong.
The playlist makes for some fantastic listening. I am sure there are many more, so please add any missing songs that fit to the comments.
The Playlist: Smells Like Fish Listen to it here.
1. I Want Some Sea Food – Peetie Wheatstraw
2. No Fish For Me – Al Miller
3. Seafood Blues (LP Version) – Champion Jack Dupree
4. Saturday Night Fish Fry – Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five
5. Fish Fryin’ Mama – Drink Small
6. Fish In My Dish – Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
7. The Fish – Big Mama Thornton
8. Something Fishy – Lonnie Johnson
9. Fish In Dirty Water – Koko Taylor
10. What’s That Smells Like Fish – Blind Boy Fuller
11. Rotten Fish – Blowfly