The journey into music videos (and other bits) continues its mission to deliver you something worthy of your time, perhaps introducing you to something new along the way.
This week I continue compiling videos and various musical related tidbits for your viewing pleasure. Some will be brand spanking new, while others will just be things that I like. I am not great with the timeliness yet, but I hope you’ve been enjoying these video collections.
The majority of the videos will fall in the metal realm, as that is where my primary musical interests lie. My tastes definitely extend beyond metal, but as I read on a forum once: “My tastes may have broadened as I have gotten older, but metal will always be my first love.”
In any case, read on and enjoy!
Slipknot – “Psychosocial (live)”
I know I’ve posted video of this song before, but this one sounds a helluva lot better. It was shot on July 13, 2008 at the Rockstar Energy Mayhem concert in Devore, California. I have to say the song is growing on me, although I do not think it is near their best work. That said, I am looking forward to the new album.
Sparzanza – “Before My Blackened Eyes
Never heard of Sparzanza? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. I have never heard of them either. They hail from Sweden and they released their third album, Banisher of the Light, last year. This track comes from that release, and while it does not sound like anything particularly special, it is a decent rock track with a nice groove.
Gojira – The Way of All Flesh Album Art, Track List
My first experience with Gojira was seeing them live on last Fall’s Radio Rebellion tour (with Behemoth and Job for a Cowboy). It was amazing. Then I picked up From Mars to Sirius, and loved it (still do). Now I am really looking forward to the October release of their next album, The Way of All Flesh. Below is the cover art and track list.
02. Toxic Garbage Island
03. A Sight To Behold
04. Yama’s Messengers
05. The Silver Cord
06. Adoration For None
07. All The Tears
08. The Art Of Dying
09. Esoteric Surgery
11. Wolf Down The Earth
12. The Way Of All Flesh
Amon Amarth – Twilight of the Thunder God Album Art, Track List
I am a recent discoverer of Amon Amarth, but I am looking forward to their new album, Twilight of the Thunder God. There will be a few editions available when it hits the street in September, See below for details:
1. Jewel case CD including full album and 24-page booklet.
2. Limited Deluxe Collector’s edition three-disc set in a special DVD-sized book including full album, a bonus CD and a bonus DVD. The “Summer Breeze 2007″ CD and DVD have a playing time of 72 minutes each. The DVD features Dolby Surround 5.1 sound and 16:9 format. 40-page book on special offset paper with parchment pages.
3. Gatefold 2-LP on 180g with one side being etched vinyl including full album and a huge poster! Limited to 1,500 copies!
4. Picture Disc — full album — limited to 500 copies!
5. Limited Bubblehead edition including everything that’s in the Deluxe Collector’s Edition plus bubbleheads of each AMON AMARTH member plus the 36-page-comic book on high-quality paper plus a huge poster. Each bobblehead has a height of 18 cm = 7″! Limited to 2,000 units worldwide!
01. Twilight of the Thunder God
02. Free Will Sacrifice
03. Guardians of Asgaard
04. Where is Your God?
05. Varyags of Miklagaard
06. Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags
07. No Fear for the Setting Sun
08. The Hero
09. Live for the Kill
10. Embrace of the Endless Ocean
Bonus CD and DVD “Live at Summer Breeze 2007″:
02. Valhall Awaits Me
03. Runes To My Memory
04. Cry Of The Black Birds
06. Pursuit Of Vikings
07. Fate Of Norns
08. Without Fear
09. With Oden On Our Side
10. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
11. An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
12. Victorious March
13. Death In Fire
Now, can you believe there are Amon Amarth bobbleheads? Behold:
Into Eternity: The Incurable Tragedy – Track List, Art, Streamed Song
Canadian metal act Into Eternity is streaming a new cut from their forthcoming album, The Incurable Tragedy. The song is called “Diagnosis Terminal” and you can check it out on their MySpace page. I like it. I am not terribly familiar with the band, but I like the crisp technical sound that keeps up a nice brutal edge. Below is the artwork for the album as well as the track listing.
01. Prelude to Woe
02. Tides of Blood
03. Spent Years of Regret
05. Diagnosis Terminal
06. The Incurable Tragedy I (Sept. 21, 2006)
08. Time Immemorial
09. The Incurable Tragedy II (Nov. 10, 2006)
10. A Black Light Ending
11. One Funeral Hymn for Three
12. The Incurable Tragedy III (Dec. 15, 2007)
The Gates of Slumber – “Trapped in the Web”
This is the first I have heard of these guys, but I like this track. The guitar sound is considerably different than I am used to hearing, sounds like something out of the late ’70s or early ’80s, but the song sounds completely modern. “Trapped in the Web” has a nice doomy feel to it, and the backlit performance video just feels right, simplistic, but right.
Backyard Babies – “F*ck Off and Die”
What if Appetite for Destruction-era Guns ‘n Roses got together with Buckcherry? Well, they’d probably sound like Backyard Babies. This is the first song I have heard from the Swedish act, and it sounds nothing like what I am used to hearing from Euro-acts. Still, I kind of like it, nothing great, but it’s fun.